Benefits / Resources / Articles
January 30, 2019

Master Sales Psychology with These 9 Tips

As a professional photographer, the best way to make the most revenue from your business is to put yourself in your clients’ shoes. You need to understand what the client needs, what they want, and what they don’t want. That way you can both be on the same page.

But how do you get to know what your client wants? By using psychology. Here are a few tips on for mastering sales psychology.

  1. Simplify. Giving your client hundreds of photos to pick from can be overwhelming, so keep sessions short and only show them the best of the best.
  2. Cater to the 20 Percent. Approximately 80 percent of your profits come from a slim 20 percent of your customers, so make sure to focus on those. Don’t cater your business to the other 80 percent of clients; pinpoint the ones who are paying the most for your work. 
  3. Read Your Clients.  If you notice a client isn’t responding well to your sales approach, restructure it. Engage them, ask questions, and figure out what would make them more satisfied.
  4. Take Action to Elicit Feeling. If you want to present your business as more upscale or in a better light, take action. Dress like a high-class professional and do whatever you can to make your business appear as professional as possible. The more effort you put into it, the more people will be willing to pay for your services.
  5. Address Concerns. Be open to hearing clients’ worries and concerns. Constructive criticism will only make your business stronger, and allowing customers to be honest about their concerns will leave you an open window to quickly and efficiently fix the problem that is bothering them.
  6. Practice “Feel, Felt, Found.” When hearing your clients’ concerns, don’t be defensive and spurt off the first response that pops into your head. Keep in mind “Feel, Felt, Found.” What this means is when you’re addressing a client say, “I understand how you feel. I, too, have felt the same way. And what I’ve found is…” This will help you connect with your clients, make them feel heard, and quickly solve problems at the same time.
  7. Be Someone with Integrity.  Don’t try to over charge your customers or slip in hidden fees. This will only make them distrust you and take their business elsewhere. Be honest and take responsibility for any mistakes you make.
  8. Build Your Own Confidence. Make sure what you are selling is in an appropriate price, and be confident while you’re pitching to your clients.
  9. Be a Constant Problem Solver.  Try to predict problems before they happen. Take all the worry out of the client’s hands and leave them feeling nothing but satisfaction.

To read the full article and get more tips on sales psychology visit Professional Photographers Magazine. If you’re not already a PPA member, don’t forget to join PPA to get the latest advice and news in the photography world!