About Us / Frequently Asked Questions

Account Information

Whenever you (as a PPA member or Basic Access account holder) log in, you will be immediately taken to the My PPA section. Look under the “MyProfile” heading on this page. You can update your name under “About Me” and contact information under Contact Information.

When you click Login (button at the top right), the login widget has a link to help you here. There is a link for “Forgot your password?" You can submit the email that you login to your account with. The site will then email you your password and steps to change your password.

PPA accepts Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover, and personal or business checks if you are paying for a membership in full. If you opt for the monthly installment plan, we only accept major credit cards.

Yes and no. You can opt out of receiving a printed copy of the magazine and only receive the digital copy. If you are a paid in full member, you will receive 2 paper invoices for your membership.

Insurance/Protection FAQs

No. The only time you would need to opt in again to your PhotoCare is if your membership lapsed.

Call our insurance partner, Lockton Affinity at 1-888-202-1526.


The PhotoCare policy that comes with membership only covers the member, not the entire studio.

Proof of purchase can be a receipt, bank or credit card statement, or warranty.

The Indemnification Trust serves as a type of malpractice protection that protects PPA members in case something goes wrong that is generally considered your responsibility, such as equipment malfunction, data loss, an error, or unsatisfied clients.

No. The Trust covers every niche of photography in instances of negligence or data loss.

You will be contacted by the Trust's law firm quickly after reaching out, usually by the next business day. They assist covered members with expert advice and guidance.

No. We are a membership association that provides insurance as a benefit. We partner with Lockton Affinity for our insurance policies.

No. These insurances are only available for PPA members.

General Liability coverage is available for purchase through our equipment insurance partner, Lockton Affinity, for a discounted member rate. Additionally, our new Full Plus membership level includes full member benefits, up to $15,000 in PhotoCare equipment insurance and general liability coverage. Click here to learn more or upgrade your membership.

No. A general liability policy typically insures against claims of bodily or personal injury or property damage, while professional liability insurance, also known as errors and omissions or E & O insurance, covers negligence as it pertains to your professional services provided.

PPA offers private telemedicine service for members to utilize. Due to federal law, we cannot offer discounted health insurance.

Events/Classes FAQs

PPA offers many avenues for members to get involved in their community, earn merits toward their degree, and so much more. Volunteer opportunities for PPA include serving on a committee, hosting a photo workshop, running for PPA council, and volunteering at Imaging USA. Find additional volunteer opportunities by connecting with a Community Network association or school near you.

Yes! PPA offers Photography Workshops held throughout the country, twice a year. Photographers also attend Imaging USA, the annual photography conference, for three days of education, classes, networking, and events. Imaging USA even offers CPP Prep-Classes to get photographers prepared to successfully take the exam!

Merits can be earned through entering images into Merit Image Review, attending events such as Imaging USA, instructing or attending PPA Photography Workshops, or participating in events with a Community Network association.

Merits can be earned through PPA or Community Network association events only, while CEUs can be earned similarly or through non-PPA events. Also, the accrual of merits is used for a PPA degree, while CEUs are for CPP recertification. For a list of CEU events, visit the Renew My Certification page.

No there is not a ceremony for earning your CPP, but you do receive a certificate.

The dates of the IPC change depending on the year as well as its location. Imaging USA is where this live-judged image competition takes place, and locations of the IPC vary depending on the year.

The IPC is held annually with an open call for entries in the summer, a selection of the category finalists in the fall and a live judging at Imaging USA to select the category winners and Grand Imaging Award Winner.  
PPA members can find IPC rules, resources, and complete information here.

If you purchased critiques, you can find them under  ‘myAchievements’ and ‘Merit Image Review’ once you’ve logged into your account.

The Image Excellence Collection Book is generally published in the first few months of the year.

Miscellaneous FAQs

Yes. Refer the person via the Member-2-Member program to earn rewards each year.

If the photo was published before 1923, it is in the public domain and you should be able to use the image without any worry of copyright violation. However, if the image was published after 1923 and you cannot locate the photographer, you may have to do research for next-of-kin and ask their permission (since copyright can transfer like property). If you cannot find anyone to contact, the image falls under the orphan works category, meaning it is a copyright-protected work where the creator or the owner of the copyright cannot be found or contacted and therefore cannot be used.

More Questions?

  • Try us in the chat box (see it at the very top right of your screen?) or
  • Email us at [email protected]
  • Or better yet, CALL US between 9am and 5pm ET, Monday through Friday. We love to hear from you! The toll-free number is 800.786.6277