Want to get the most out of Image Competition? Whether you're new to competition or are a more experienced competitor looking to refine your skills, we have the workshop for you!
Join Sam Tarrel and Aaron Hockley for a day of competition immersion. We'll show you how to look at your work with a judge's eye so that you can select the best competition images. We'll talk about shooting specifically for competition and using personal projects as source material. We'll review what makes an image strong for competition, and conversely, what are some pitfalls that can result in a lower score.
Class Level - All Levels
Newer competitors can learn:
- What are the 12 Elements of a Merit Image? They're the building blocks for competition excellence, and understanding each of them will help you evaluate your own work.
- What you should know about preparing your digital files for a smooth entry process.
- Your client work may or may not be a good fit for formal competition. How can you identify if it is?
More experienced competitors can learn:
- While all 12 Elements of a Merit Image are important, strength in certain ones is more likely to lead to higher-scoring images. If you find your images stuck in the 80-84 scoring range, you'll learn where to focus to grow.
- We'll explain a straightforward Photoshop action that can automate a process for a simple, professional, judge-pleasing Presentation
- We'll dive into Titles, the unofficial 13th element, learning how they can help (or hurt) your ability to connect with the judges and have strong impact
Prerequisites: Attendees don't need to have entered competition previously, but should have watched/listened to at least one OPPA or PPA competition to understand the general format of the event.
Speaker's Name: Sam Tarrel and Aaron Hockley