Join PPA to get 24/7 access to all of PPA’s resources and benefits, including its entire Online Learning Center.
Steps to Starting a Business
Bridget Jackson CPA, Manager, PPA Business Consultant
So you want to own a studio? Then look no further: This class is for you! Instructor Bridget Jackson, CPA, walks you through everything you need to know in a thorough, informative session.
Now, starting a business includes a little soul-searching and self-reflection. What are you about and why do you want to do this? Bridget will lead you through what you need to figure out about what you want…and into the business nitty-gritty, including:
- How to create a business plan (from identifying your ideal client to figuring out what you want to sell and at what price).
- What numbers do you need to realize—what’s your break-even point?
- When and why you should actually start your business (do you have what you need, from equipment to marketing calendar and sales plan?). Timing can make or break a business!
- What kind of business you want—home-based or retail location—and important considerations to ponder.
- What kinds of legal and financial information you can’t ignore (oh, those ever-exciting tax laws!).
Bridget discusses all this and so, so much more. (Just a little hint: At the end of the video there’s a list of 10 steps you won’t want to forget!) Seriously, if you want to start out smart, this video is a must-have.
We value your feedback and want to know how we can improve. Please share your thoughts about the class here.
Bridget Jackson is a Certified Public Accountant and the lead advisor with PPA's Studio Management Services. She has worked with small businesses for over fifteen years and has been with PPA for the last seven. Bridget enjoys educating thousands of photographers on the business of photography and working one-on-one with hundreds more to help them understand business concepts that can help them achieve their goals. Whether it is greater profitability, a better work/life balance, creating personal financial security, or questions on taxes and bookkeeping, Bridget is an all-in-one resource for studio management. She’s leveraged her expertise by overseeing the 2008 and 2010 Benchmark Surveys, using the data collected to create tools and resources to aid photographers in implementing the results with their own studios.
Bridget has brought a wealth of financial knowledge and experience to PPA, and has quickly become an industry expert on the financial operation of a photography business. If you have any questions for her about your business, or would like to schedule a one-on-one consultation, you are welcome to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out why so many photographers say they owe their business’s success to the time they’ve spent with Bridget!