Join PPA to get 24/7 access to all of PPA’s resources and benefits, including its entire Online Learning Center.
Computer Basics: Photographic Computer Requirements
Ron Nichols M.Photog.Cr., API
It’s time to get technical with PPA instructor Ron Nichols! No one knows equipment like he does or is better at telling you what you need and why. Be prepared to take notes as Ron discusses the following:
- Computer Processors and Memory: Discuss single, dual, on up to xeon. Learn why quad core is the better choice. Examine memory RAM and what amount is good for you.
- Storage and Hard Drives: Learn the ins and outs of how and where to store your information. Discuss various hard drives, lifespans and how to spot signs of system failures before they happen.
- Network and Video Cards: Discuss the benefits of each, what to avoid and why.
- I/O Ports: Do you know about Thunderbolt, Firewire, or Estata? The differences between USB 2.0 and 3.0? Don’t worry—you should and you will!
- Monitors and software: Ron advises on the best types of monitors, routers and where to download software that you’ll want to use on a regular basis.
Why run all over town or read computer magazine after magazine when Ron has expert knowledge on what photographers need? Take this class, and you’ll save yourself valuable time and money!
We value your feedback and want to know how we can improve. Please share your thoughts about the class here.
Ron Nichols, M.Photog.Cr.Hon.M.Photog., API, has been a successful professional photographer for over 25 years. His Grand Ledge, Michigan studio specializes in family portraits, children and high school seniors. In addition to his studio work, he's worked as a consultant for many other studios and works with manufacturers and software developers on ways to best integrate their products into studios.
As a beta tester for labs and developers, he quickly learned and created solutions to optimize workflow. He also developed the Ron Nichols Studio Retouching Palette that has simplified portrait retouching and is now being used in studios around the world. He even teaches digital workflow and sales through in-studio seminars, at affiliate schools, conventions and lab-sponsored events.
A PPA past president, Ron is current president of the Society of XXV, an elite group of world-class photographers. He has earned Gallery and Masterpiece Awards along with PPA International Loan Collection image recognitions. In 1998, he received the PPA National Award, and in 2011, was presented the Leadership Award by the United Nations International Photographic Council.