How To Earn A Photography Degree With PPA
Interested in getting a degree and upping your game and credibility in photography? By exploring this section of the website, not only will you put yourself on a path to become a better photographer, but a more marketable one as well.
So how exactly does one earn a degree?
Be A Current Member of PPA
The Merit & Degree program is a benefit for PPA members only. That means you’ll have to hold one of the following membership status:
- Professional Active Member
- Additional Active Member
- Canadian and International members
- Aspiring members
- Life Member
- Retired Member
Choose Your Degree
PPA offers several types of degrees for professionals to work towards. These include:
- Master of Photography: This degree recognizes superior photographic skills-demonstrated through the Photographic Open category of PPA’s International Photographic Competition
- Photographic Craftsman: One of the highest recognitions for speaking, writing and/or mentoring in photography. This degree shows that you have gone beyond the creation of images and dedicated your time to move the industry forward and encourage education.
- Master Artist: Recognizing superior skills with artistic image manipulations though computer-applied techniques. Demonstrated through the Artist Exhibition category in PPA’s International Photographic Competition
Master of Photography
Earn 25 Merits
When looking to earn any PPA degree, 25 merits is your goal. However, each degree will require a different combination of merits.
How do you earn these merits? Well, you can accumulate different kinds of merits and in a number of ways, including:
- Exhibition Merits: Earned by competing in the Photographic Open category of PPA's International Photographic Competition. At least 13 merits are required for the Master of Photography degree. Learn how to track your Exhibition Merits.
- Artist Exhibition Merits: Earned by competing in the more technical Master Artist category of PPA's International Photographic Competition. These images are evaluated for computer-applied techniques and proficiency. At least 13 merits are required for the Master Artist degree. Learn how to track your Artist Exhibition Merits.
- Speaking Merits: Earned by instructing or contributing to the PPA and PPA Affiliate photographic community. Sharing your knowledge and experience is important in moving this industry forward, and PPA wants to reward you for contributing to that effort. At least 13 merits are required for the Photographic Craftsman degree. Learn how to track your Speaking Merits.
- Service Merits: Earned through PPA and PPA Affiliate volunteer service and learning opportunities. These can be part of the 12 extra merits needed for every degree's 25-merit total. Learn how to track your Service Merits.