Technical Image Evaluation: Overview and Resources
You've passed your exam and now you are ready for the Technical Image Evaluation. Use this page to help navigate the Technical Image Evaluation process and get your images ready!
After you have passed the CPP exam, you will be eligible to submit your image evaluation. There are five evaluation periods per year, each opened for two weeks at a time.
In this process, you will be required to create 3 assigned images using a CPP Image Kit ordered from BlickU. Using the 5 items in the kit and the evaluation setup guidelines you will choose from one of three offered lighting scenario’s to create the images assigned. These set ups will demonstrate your understanding of key photographic concepts including; depth of field, camera angle, exposure, lens compression, white balance, light sources and file handling criteria. All images will be evaluated on pre-set elements including; cropping, focus, sharpness, lighting, camera angle and white balance. A successful evaluation will satisfy all elements for all three images. You will be able to submit your evaluation as many times as needed during your candidacy period.
Please allow between 5-10 business days for kit delivery. Each kit costs approximately $35 shipping included.
Each Image Evaluation will demonstrate three images. Please use the Technical Image Evaluation Guide and Sample Images to set up your evaluation. Make sure to reference the Equipment List for required and suggested equipment.
Your Technical Image Evaluation will be comprised of THREE (3) images that have been taken from one of the listed lighting scenarios.
- OPTION 1: Electronic Flash Technical Image Evaluation Setup Guide (speedlights, studio strobes, location strobes) Electronic Flash Setup Guide
- OPTION 2: Continuous Light Technical Image Evaluation Setup Guide (modeling lights, tungsten lights, LED). Continuous Light Setup Guide
- OPTION 3: Natural Light Technical Image Evaluation Setup Guide (window light, available light) Natural Light Setup Guide
All images submitted must be self-directed and not set up in a workshop environment or under the direct supervision of an instructor.
All images must be photographed and uploaded in the smallest RAW format your camera allows.
Here are some pretty amazing resources to help you understand and submit a successful evaluation:
- BlickU Ordering Guide
- Setup Guide
- Equipment List
- Evaluation Criteria Checklist
- Electronic Flash Lighting Setup Guide
- Continuous Light Setup Guide
- Natural Light Setup Guide
- Electronic Flash Lighting Diagram
- Continuous Light Diagram
- Natural Light Diagram
- Setup Guide for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
- Electronic Flash Scenario for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
- Continuous Light Scenario for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
- Natural Light Scenario for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
- Metering Basics for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
- Tips for CPP Technical Image Evaluation Video
Examples of passing sample images
- Electronic Flash sample images (zip folder)
- Electronic Flash sample images (PDF)
- Continuous Light sample images (zip folder)
- Continuous Light sample images (PDF)
- Natural Light sample images (zip folder)
- Natural Light sample images (PDF)
- Sample Images with Grid Lines
Examples of failing sample images
Here is the evaluation criteria checklist which your three required images will be evaluated by. Each image must satisfy all the criteria listed and ALL THREE images must pass for your evaluation to pass. If one or more of your images does not pass you will need to resubmit all three images in another evaluation period.
Make sure you follow the checklist so your evaluation is successful!
The scheduled Technical Image Evaluation dates for 2019 and 2020 are:
- Friday, October 4, 2019 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, October 18, 2019 12PM (noon) ET
- Friday, February 14, 2020 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, February 28, 2020 12PM (noon) ET
- Friday, April 10, 2020 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, April 24, 2020 12PM (noon) ET
- Friday, June 5, 2020 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, June 19, 2020 12PM (noon) ET
- Friday, August 7, 2020 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, August 21, 2020 12PM (noon) ET
- Friday, October 2, 2020 12PM (noon) ET – Friday, October 16, 2020 12PM (noon) ET
If you have passed your exam and are an eligible candidate to submit your evaluation; you will receive an email notification at NOON ET on the Friday the evaluation period opens. The email will provide instructions on how to access the evaluation upload platform by logging on to your myPPA dashboard and navigating to the myAchievements tab. You will select "Certifications" to expand the selection where you can view the option to “Upload Evaluation”. From there you may upload your evaluation during any open evaluation period (please note: the upload evaluation button will only be visible during the two week period the evaluation is open). For questions or if you need additional assistance please email email@example.com. Good luck!