Capturing a client’s big day is one of the most rewarding types of photography there is. As a wedding photographer, you get to document someone’s once-in-a-lifetime event and preserve their memories from a single day into an album of beautiful images that can be cherished for years to come. When you deliver exceptional results to a client, the feeling of knowing you used your talent and expertise to inspire joy in the world can be just as satisfying as the profit you make.
But wedding photographers also face unique challenges. For example, wedding venues often require photographers to have General Liability insurance before working on-site. And because weddings involve lots of people and planning, the pressure to get every shot you need can be overwhelming.
52% of PPA members (which is about 16,000 of you) report weddings as at least part of their business. With that in mind, here’s a rundown of the wedding photography resources available to you as part of your membership. Keep scrolling for a list of wedding photography resources that can help you overcome challenges and deliver high-quality images that make clients beam.
- Equipment Insurance: Every professional photographer should have basic equipment insurance. As a PPA member, you have access to up to $15,000 of coverage, all included in your membership. To activate your PhotoCare Equipment Insurance, click here.
- General Liability Insurance: If an accident happens while you’re photographing a wedding, General Liability Insurance protects against incidents of property damage or bodily harm. Many venues even require photographers to have this before they’re allowed to work on-site. PPA and Lockton Affinity provides insurance designed specifically for professional photographers. Click here to learn more (and get a quote).
- Data Loss Recovery & Negligence: Even the best photographers can have a memory card fail or miss a shot due to something outside of their control. Through the Indemnification Trust, PPA members receive help when a client claims they were negligent in providing their services -- including data losses, missed shots, or simply because the client has decided to be unhappy.
- Sales and Marketing Tools: Being able to create great photos is only one part of running a successful photography business. Find ways to develop your business and reach new clients with a suite of sales and marketing tools available as part of your membership. From eBooks and tutorials to consumer research and customizable contracts, these resources are a must-have for any professional photographer.
- Education: Get the insights and knowledge with online education made specifically for professional photographers. With over 900 classes available, the online education platform makes lifelong learning easy. Plus, every year you’ll find a selection of classes at Imaging USA that focus exclusively on topics relevant to wedding photography.
- Certification: Looking for a way to show potential clients you’re a dedicated professional who has the skills and experience to capture their big day? Become a Certified Professional Photographer and stand out from the competition. This certification shows clients you’re not only a stellar image-maker but also an entrepreneur who focuses on giving clients an amazing experience before, during, and after the wedding.
- Master of Wedding Photography Degree: We've created a new degree designed to encourage and reward hard-working wedding photographers and help them stand out in the wedding photography field. Earn a credential that signifies the mastery of the education and experience needed to obtain a degree through PPA. Candidates for the Master of Wedding Photography degree earn merits by competition in photographic competitions. Click here to learn more about District Competitions and the International Photographic Competition.
Elevate your wedding photography business with these resources from PPA. If you're not already a member, click here to learn more about joining the largest and longest-running association for professional photographers!