In fact, one of those awards just got a new name AND we added a brand-new award...all at last week's PPA Award & Degree Ceremony on Jan. 22. So join us in tipping our hats to two greats in the industry who now have a PPA award named after them:
Warren Motts - Warren Motts International Service Award
This award (originally known as the Ross Sanddal International Service Award) is given to people who have made "major contributions in promoting and developing professional photography on an international level."
That's hard enough to do on your own home turf, let alone across the world! Yet Warren has spent about 50 years helping expand what the industry has to offer. He's an advocate for the International Photographic Competition, including being a jury chairman since 1983 and judging at PPA's first annual international affiliated judging in Mexico. In thanks to his service, China and Mexico both presented him with Honorary Master degrees. Warren also served as PPA President and has been an active PPA Councilor for 20 years. And for years, he has been sharing his brand of cheer, honor and dignity with the international delegates to Imaging USA...just one more reason he now has an award named after him!
Gary Jentoft - Gary Jentoft Association Service Award
"When asked 'Who represents sacrifice, service and care in PPA?' you have to think of the name Gary Jentoft," says PPA President Tim Walden. Gary's years of service to this association stood out so much that PPA even created a brand-new award to honor him and others like him in the future!
In the official language, the new Gary Jentoft Association Service Award recognizes "distinguished service and support to PPA, which exemplifies the commitment that PPA member volunteers contribute to the success of PPA." And seriously, PPA wouldn't be here without volunteers like Gary! As a non-profit, we depend on photographers whose passions drive them to help others via mentorship and more.
A PPA member for almost 60 years, Gary is a third-generation member of a five-generation photographic family. Currently the Professional Photographers of Washington's Executive Manager, Gary is also serving his 20th (and final) year on PPA's Bylaws, Rules and Ethics Committee. He also served 32 years as a PPA Councilor and 41 years as an adjunct professor of new media, studio management, and business practices at Seattle Community College.
We could go on and on, but let's just end with a big thank you for all his years of service, commitment and belief in PPA!
2013 List of PPA Award Winners
If you didn't make it to the PPA Award & Degree Ceremony on Jan. 22, here's a full list of the awesome folks we honored that night (not including all the amazing PPA degree recipients!)
- Gary Jentoft of Washington received the inaugural Gary Jentoft Association Service Award.
- Martin Grahame-Dunn of the United Kingdom received the inaugural Warren Motts International Service Award.
- Doug Box of Texas received the Gerhard Bakker Award.
- Donald Emmerich of Oklahoma received the Helen K. Yancy Award.
- Julia Woods of Illinois received the Charles H. (Bud) Haynes Award.
- Lori Nordstrom of Iowa received the Buddy M. Stewart Award.
- Bob Lloyd of Illinois and Bill Weaks of Texas both received the Directors Award.
- Richard Miller of Kansas received the Vendor of the Year Award.
- Ann Monteith of Pennsylvania received the PPA Charities Legacy Award.
- Graham Nash of California received the PPA Technology Impact Award.
- Greg Gorman of California received the Lifetime Achievement Award.