Contract Essentials: Cover Your Bases
Long gone are the days when you did business with a nod and a firm handshake – in today’s environment, if it’s not in the contract, it doesn’t exist. So before you snap that first photo, you want signed paperwork in hand. But you’re an artist, not a lawyer! Never fear -- after this “Contract Essentials” class, you’ll know the ins and outs of creating and executing an effective contract so you can focus on what you do best.
Sit up and pay attention as Maria Matthews, PPA’s Copyright and Government Affairs Manager, coaches you in these key areas of developing your contract “arsenal”:
- Incorporating contract must-haves (key clauses and features critical to every contract).
- Tailoring a contract to the specific assignment and client.
- Correctly using releases and license agreements.
- Designing your contracts to fit your photographic specialties and unique skills.
- Knowing when and how to use vendor and internal contracts, such as leases, non-competition and confidentiality agreements.
- Researching state requirements that impact your contracts (and when to consult your attorney).
- Knowing who should sign your legal masterpieces.
- Understanding the all-important skill of negotiation.
So are you ready to make the art of the contract one of your hidden skills? We’re ready to help you get started!
We value your feedback and want to know how we can improve. Please share your thoughts about the class here.
Duration: 0:16:40 Expand video to full screen for best view.
Copyright & Government Affairs Manager, PPA
Maria Matthews is PPA’s Copyright & Government Affairs Manager. She assists members on a daily basis with copyright and contract questions and helps members take advantage of PPA’s Indemnification Trust Program. In addition to her work with members she keeps a watchful eye on Capitol Hill to ensure photographers’ voices are heard when key issues come up for debate.