The Basics: Selecting a Backdrop
Sometimes it’s good to get back to basics, and that’s exactly what instructor Drake Busath does in this video class. Listen up to his quick-and-dirty overview of the various backdrops you can use, when to use them and why. He’ll discuss the different options, their benefits and what you need to pull it off, including…
- Muslin background – Drake tells you how to drape it & the lighting that works best.
- Vintage background – Want to know how to light it? Drake shares all!
- Classic background – This “Old Masters” style has its time & place, even today. Find out when to use it & how!
Finally, to use different backgrounds, you’re going to need to the right equipment. Find out what you need so that your shoot runs perfectly…and so that you can handle your backgrounds successfully in a variety of ways!
We value your feedback and want to know how we can improve. Please share your thoughts about the class here.
Duration: 0:06:13 Expand video to full screen for best view.
Drake Busath says he “grew up in a darkroom” as a second generation photographer. He now owns Busath Studio and Gardens, a vibrant portrait business with five photographers, three of which hold Masters Degrees from Professional Photographers of America.
His portraits have been the subject of numerous articles in photographic journals, three times on the cover of Professional Photographer Magazine. Drake has taught portraiture to professional photographers world wide, from Australia and Asia, to Europe and in 35 U.S. states. He’s been a regular platform speaker at Imaging USA.
Since 1999 Drake has also operated ItalyWorkshops.com, a photographic village-tour in Italy. Hundreds of photographers have attended what Drake calls a “personal renaissance” in Tuscany, Umbria, Liguria Coast, Venice, the Lakes District and Val d’Aosta, all regions in northern Italy where he has lived and worked.
- Masters and Craftsman Degrees from Professional Photographers of America
- Charter member of XXV, a society of Photographers world wide
- Numerous Loan Collection (PPA) honors
- Exhibited in Epcot and the Photographic Hall of Fame
- Best of State 2010, 2011, 2012 for Photographic Portraiture in Utah
- PPA National Award
Drake and his wife Liz are based in Salt Lake City. Two sons, Richard and Bromley Busath currently manage the portrait business.