CPP Exam Overview and Resources
- Exam Schedule
- Test Specifications
- CPP on PPAedu
- Sample Test
- Flash Cards
- CPP Keywords
- Suggested Reading
- CPP Prep Class
- CPP Exam FAQ's
You must register for the exam at least five business days prior to the date on which you wish to take the written examination. If you fail to register you will not be able to take the exam. Photo identification will be required upon arrival at the testing site.
Register for the CPP Certification Exam.
The CPP Test Specifications are a great resource to use when preparing for your CPP Exam. The Test Specs are a detailed summary of what the exam covers and the percentage of each section on the exam.
If you know you are weak in a certain section whether it's Lighting or Composition & Design you can review the test specs to see how heavily weighted that section will be on the exam. To take it a step further if you know you need further review on a specific subject cross reference our Suggested Reading List to brush up on certain topics!
Need some additional help on topics covered on the CPP Exam? Watch these 10-15 minute videos to gain insight on the following topics, Aperture and F-Stops, Shutter Speeds, Exposure, Color Temperature, ISO & the Sunny 16 Rule, Meters and the Inverse Square Law.
A great way to prep for your big exam day is to take a practice test. Not only will be able gauge your photographic knowledge but you can also practice putting pencil to paper. Remember the test is a scantron test so sharpen your #2 pencils and review our Test Taking Tips (coming soon) before the big day!
Test your photographic knowledge with these words, terms and theories! Use the keywords to help you study for your CPP Exam or just brush up on your education. Remember it's best to know more than just the definition of the keyword. Application and understanding is critical! How many keywords do you know?
Please be aware that you do not need to read or purchase these resources to take this exam. This resource is a general study guide for the fundamentals of today's imaging industry.
- Agelus. The International Color Consortium. 2012.
- Bockaert. The 123 of Digital Imaging Interactive e-Book Version 2.0 2003.
- Box. Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers. 2009.
- Excell. Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots. 2011
- Freeman. The Complete Guide to Digital Photography, 5th Edition. 2011.
- Hirsch. Light and Lens: Photography in the Digital Age. 2011
- Hirschfeld, et al. The Hand Exposure Meter Book. 2001.
- Hunter. Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. 2011.
- Kelby. The Adobe Photoshop CS6 Book for Digital Photographers. 2012.
- Kelby. The Digital Photography Book. 2011
- London, Stone & Upton. Photography. 2011 (10th edition)
- Long. Complete Digital Photography. 2012 (6th edition)
- Pegram. Posing Techniques for Photographing Modeling Portfolios. 2008.
- Percy. Simplifying Composition: Aspect ratios. 2011.
- Smith. Lighting for Outdoor and Location Portrait Photography. 2007.
- Valenzuela. Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking Worldclass Photographs. 2012.
- Zucker. Monte Zucker's Portrait Photography Handbook. 2007
Before you take the exam, why not take this 3-day intensive class, covering all the technical topics? You'll gain a better technical knowledge of photography, which probably means a more peaceful sleep before the exam!
Nervous about the Image Submission? We added a brand new optional fourth day of the prep class dedicated to the Image Submission. During this time you will review the criteria for submitting images, view sample images and get tips on how to build your image submission portfolio. You definitely do not want to miss this!
The Certification Resources provided are not intended to directly reference content on the Certified Professional Photographer exam or image submission. The resources provided are a compilation of independent study materials brought together in a single forum designed to help you improve your photographic knowledge and skill.