2014 International Photographic Competition Photographic Open Rules
Please review thoroughly!
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter photographic prints, digital files, physical albums, and/or digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Through this competition, PPA members are also eligible to achieve PPA exhibition merits toward the Master of Photography degree.
These rules pertain to images entered as prints or digital files created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured electronically with a digital camera or scanner:
- All entries must be registered at ppa.com.
- Entrants may submit either prints, digital files or a combination for judging.
- Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image (print or file) entered. NOTE: For print entries, the digital file submitted MUST match both the image and presentation. If, for example, the submitted print has a mat and the digital file does not show the mat, the entry will be disqualified.
- No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry fee is paid.
- Images and prints are not restricted to the previous 16”x20” non-master format. See size requirements below.
Registration opens May 26, 2014. Register at ppa.com/ipc.
- Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
- All processing, manipulation and printing or rendering, were done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
- The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold PPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of PPA's display, publication and promotion or other use of each image submitted to PPA.
- The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
- A maximum of four entries may be submitted per entrant.
- No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
- No two entries shall be of the same subject.
- Entries bearing the PPA Affiliated Exhibition Seal of Approval and submitted according to the rules of entry will be automatically accepted for exhibition only when submitted to the next PPA International Photographic Competition immediately following the District competition where awarded. (Entries submitted from within the maker’s assigned District are eligible for
Seals of Approval and will be validated at registration.)
- Entry media includes photographic prints, digital files, physical albums, and digital albums.
- Once an image has been awarded an exhibition merit in any category of PPA competition, it may not be entered again in any other category, at any time, by any entrant. No image that receives a merit may be entered more than once under any condition, including any image from a merited album.
PHOTOGRAPHIC OPEN COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
- PORTRAIT: Consists of portrait or wedding images.
- ILLUSTRATIVE: Consists of commercial/industrial images, scenics, pictorials, digital paintings and similar subject matter. Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.
- ALBUM: EVENT albums consist of time-sensitive social events, such as weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc. NON-EVENT albums consist of portrait and storytelling albums.
- MULTI-MAKER ALBUM: Images in the album must be the work of the entrants (up to three), with a minimum of 20 images per entrant. Each entrant must individually enter the competition and pay appropriate entry fees. Multi-maker albums will be judged as one entry.
- Images may submitted in any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24”.
- Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Sintra). Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8" to 3/8". “Float” mounting is accepted at entrant’s risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
- No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
- A digital reference file must be submitted with each print entry. This file must match the submitted print entry, both image and presentation (if a real mat is used on the print, a reasonable facsimile must be used in the digital file). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
- If a print is submitted and correctly entered, the print will be judged.
PHYSICAL ALBUM ENTRIES
1. Album cover size must be between 63-400 square inches.
2. No multiple volume albums are allowed.
3. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
4. An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread
files up to 36 page/spread files.
5. Any studio identification or entrant’s name in the album must be covered.
6. Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi-maker album.
- Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files will be accepted when necessary so long are they are JPEG/10.
- Files are to be named, Image_Title (use _ for spaces,
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
- All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
- Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
- An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
- Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
- All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. Summer_Wedding.zip)
- Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
- Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi-maker album.
VIEWING CONDITONS FOR IMAGE REVIEW
For color management help, see our Video Tutorial.
- Prints: Tungsten lighting, 3100K, EV8 (ISO 100, f/16@ 1 sec.)
- Digital Files: Monitor Settings, D65, 120 cd/m2, 2.20 gamma
DEADLINES AND FEES
- $95.00 for PPA members registered by midnight, June 26, 2014. (non-members: $65 additional)
- $130.00 for PPA members registering June 27, 2014 through midnight, July 10, 2014. No registrations accepted after July 10. non-members: $90 additional)
- Physical print entry cases must be received within 7 days of entry deadline.
- For print entries to be returned, they must be shipped in an approved print case. Entries may be shipped in any serviceable box, but they will not be returned. (Get more information on print cases)
- Ship to: PPA International Photographic Competition, 229 Peachtree St. NE, Suite 2200, Atlanta, GA 30303
- PPA assumes no responsibility for damage to entries or print cases.
- Images shipped in an approved print case will be returned within 30 days of the conclusion of Imaging USA.
- Entries accepted into the Loan Collection will not be returned.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the Photographic Exhibitions Committee is final.