Any point in competing if you can't go?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Any point in competing if you can't go?

APPI - Associated Professional Photographers of Illinois - has scheduled their next conference at the same time as WPPI this year. I've already booked everything for WPPI, so there's no way to go to the regional conference.

I've tried to promise myself that I'd actually enter competition this year, but since I can't go, is there any real reason to submit? I would think that the value of submitting to competition is to learn from the critique, and since we can't be there for the critique, should we wait until we can actually be there to submit?

Any opinions on the value of submission without attendance appreciated.

Thanks

- trr

Yes, I would still enter. If you can't go, do you have someone there that can watch for your stuff and ask for critiques for you? If not you can always ask someone later for a critique! It can still be a learning expierence even if you're not there!
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

I don't have anyone to go in my place, can you actually get a critique afterwards? Like from the actual judges? Is this typical?

thanks

-trr

At APPI you will get a score on the print so you will at least have an idea of how far off or on target your getting. If you've been competing for a while the score thing doesn't mean so much unless your like Marc Benjamin and need to pick the four with the best chance of going Loan. But if you've never submitted before, the score can be more helpful than the simple yes no answer you get from PPA. Basically if your below 78 on a print it's not worth sending on to PPA, but if it's in the 78-79 range it still has a chance with another panel. The spring APPI comp is your regional so anything that goes 80 or above does automatically merit at national if you send it in the same year. You won't get that seal if you attend a different regional like Kentucky's or Mid East States, those are not your regionals. So there's a couple of things to consider regarding sending prints to APPI this spring even though you can't be there. Another thought would be to enter WPPI's print comp. I know many photographers enter the same prints in both comps and generally have very similar results. If it wins big at WPPI it will more than likely merit at PPA national. Some of the same people judge both competitions.

I'm not sure if you can get a critic tape from APPI. Anyone else know?
    Last edited by David_A._Lottes; 12-20-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Like from the actual judges? Is this typical?
    I don't know if this would be available to you or not, but was actually talking about just asking someone in your area or even post it here to get feedback as to why it got the score it did.
    Cheri MacCallum

Thanks David,

I'm not worried about winning big, I'm sure I'm not in danger of that happening. I'm trying to suppress my lack of confidence and learn something about competition. I know that you can post things on the forum here, but I don't think its reasonable to expect our worthy constituents on the board to pen a critique that would provide the level of assistance that I probably need.

Other than the mentoring sessions at Imaging USA, are there any options for a more in-depth evaluation of your work? I don't really know anyone in my area, so I'm looking for some kind of association or service offered.

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the differences between WPPI's comp and PPA's. I know that PPA allows you to work towards the Masters, whereas in WPPI I guess you're just submitting for attention and prizes? It seems like WPPI is a bit of a dirty word on this forum (I could be worng) but I was curious about an informed opinion on their competition.

Thanks.

-trr

Default Where are you from?

Hi Todd!

Where are you from? There may be other options for you as well, though I don't know what to say about that unless I know where?!

Also, just an FYI, this upcoming spring is not just APPI, it is called MARC (Mid-America Regional Conference) and is the first year we will be joining with Indiana for a regional.

Please share where you are....
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

We're located in Dunlap, basically Peoria.

- trr

but I don't think its reasonable to expect our worthy constituents on the board to pen a critique that would provide the level of assistance that I probably need.
    There are many of us here who do judge and would be happy to give you feed back either here or with private emails!
    Cheri MacCallum

Todd,

Great, I am glad to hear that you are 'local'. I do think it is important to be involved in print competition, and I would like to encourage you to then look at Northern Illinois if you are not already a member. www.ppani.org

There are 4 competitions a year and a big one in February. You could start with that one- it would be a good preliminary for you before MARC. A great way to get your feet wet.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.