Imaging USA first-timer questions... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Great advice everyone. And thanks for the email access "Roomie."

I'm planning on bringing a ginormous notebook, a half-dozen pens (I always loose them) my ipod with slideshows of my work (in case anyone cares) a bunch of business cards, a backpack to carry all my stuff and probably some clothes. Do you bring dressyish clothes for anything? Or will I get by with polos and shorts/jeans?

Also, looking through the schedule there is a "Art of Success Part I" and an "Art of Success Part II" but the write-up is exactly the same for both. Do you think this is a just a repeat or will there be different content? It's the big group discussion with Jeff and julia woods, Taufers, Waldens, Petty, Nordstrom, and Puc.
    Last edited by Nate_Weatherly; 12-19-2007 at 07:18 AM.
    "Often while traveling with a camera we arrive just as the sun slips over the horizon of a moment, too late to expose film, only time enough to expose our hearts."
    Minor White

Nate Weatherly
    www.nateweatherly.com
    Hallmark Institute of Photography Graduate '06

I would recommend getting a notebook that has the stiff back to make it easier to take notes during the training as you have to write with it on your lap.

I love the "Cambridge Writing Pads" by Mead. They sell them at CVS. They're the 8 1/2 x 11" size with the spiral part on the top. They are 70 sheets thick and of course you could just turn it over and write from the back to front if you fill it up. Take care, Lois

One other thing that is fun to watch: When Sam Puc', Dave Junion and Vicki and Jed Taufer come into a room, they look like rock stars
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Not met the Taufers but Sam and Dave ARE rock stars!

Just make sure there's kleenex around for Sam and no sand burrs on the floor for Dave!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

5. Default

one last question, probably a silly one...i'm about to place an order for more business cards and was wondering, would it be wise for me to print a plain business card with a photo of me and all my info to hand to other photographers and various people I might come in contact with? Or will one of my more standard business cards do fine?

All of the vendors are listed on the imaging website. If you check the ones your interested in they are saved in your "briefcase", then you can print out the listing of vendors with their space numbers before you leave.

I'm on a short time schedule for the actual tradeshow due to EPIC training so I'm hoping that this way I'll be able to find the ones I really want info from without having to spend hours sorting out who's where.

I am being peppered with questions from my wife about what to bring to wear. Is it safe to assume business casual attire for the bulk of the time? Are there any occasions during which a dress or suit would be expected?
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    I am being peppered with questions from my wife about what to bring to wear. Is it safe to assume business casual attire for the bulk of the time? Are there any occasions during which a dress or suit would be expected?
    From what I've seen, casual or business casual would be perfectly fine for the classes and trade show and such. There are some banquet type get-togethers where fancier dress would be a good idea (like the closing night party at the Tampa aquarium).

Closing night is pretty casual, unless you are coming over from the Awards Ceremony where the new recipients are sporting their new necklesses. I generally dress pretty casual throughout the convention, but business casual is a good thing.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

These are men answering, so I asked Holly because I figured your wife would want a woman's viewpoint. She said to tell her that you will see everything from cutoffs and tanktops to business suits and ties. Business casual would be very appropiate but she won't feel out of place in jeans and a nice shirt if she feels like that. We usually wear what we would wear to work on a daily basis, because how we are dressed effects how we feel. If we dress too casual, we don't feel in a professional mood. If you are going to the awards ceremony, you could wear something a little dressier if you want but many people in the audience will be casually dressed so anything goes. If you are planning much time in the trade show or print show bring comfortable shoes. Holly also said she either makes sure she has a shoulder strap purse or clothes with pockets to put a few essentials in ( like room key and a little cash for sodas etc) so she doesn't have to carry a purse in her hands.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.