Imaging USA first-timer questions... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm debating whether or not to bring my laptop. If I do my wife won't have a computer at home... Is it really necessary? I don't mind taking notes with pen and paper. Is there really anything big that we need a computer for?

Also, does anyone bring a mini portfolio or anything for sharing/critiquing? I've only been in business a year and would love feedback, but don't want to be annoying/ridiculous.

Thanks!
    "Often while traveling with a camera we arrive just as the sun slips over the horizon of a moment, too late to expose film, only time enough to expose our hearts."
    Minor White

Nate Weatherly
    www.nateweatherly.com
    Hallmark Institute of Photography Graduate '06

2. Default

thanks so much for the tips everyone!

i'm going to try to get some more business cards printed before the conference...do you think it would be better to hand out formal business cards or just simple/less professional 'info cards' with name, studio name, address, phone number, etc. as someone mentioned earlier?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Weatherly View Post
    I'm debating whether or not to bring my laptop. If I do my wife won't have a computer at home... Is it really necessary? I don't mind taking notes with pen and paper. Is there really anything big that we need a computer for?

Also, does anyone bring a mini portfolio or anything for sharing/critiquing? I've only been in business a year and would love feedback, but don't want to be annoying/ridiculous.

Thanks!
    Hey Nate - I'll have my laptop with me, so if you need to use it to check on stuff, etc., you'll be more than welcome. Hey, it the least I can do for my "roomie". I've got over 15 years in this business, so if there is anything that you would want feedback on - photography or business related - I'll be more than happy too.

Dirk

The only reason I bring a laptop is to transcribe my notes into "readable" form. I take notes on paper so fast and frantically that if I let them sit for more than a few days, I won't be able to read what I wrote!
    John Knowles, CPP
    Times to Remember Photography
    www.ttrphoto.com

Hi David,

I've gone to both PPA and WPPI for 5 years straight and here's my take on getting the most out of the experience.

1. It's always best to a room at the main (Marriot) hotel or at least at the embassy. It's just easier if you ever need to take a mid day nap (does you wonders) and you really feel of everything that's going on after hours. Also, it's easier to have your room close so you can change fast and dump all your stuff.

2. If you're local, have a car or can carry stuff on a plane, then you could actually get an out of this world deal for the floor samples. Trick is you have to talk the price down ala flee market style. Most dealers don't really want to pack up as much stuff to take back. If you can, have cash on hand, it's easier for the dealers to just take cash rather than having to run the card. The best people to hit up for the floor samples are the frame guys, the tripod folks, the light modifier guys and whichever super star photographer that's selling instructional DVD's. Trust me it works.

3. After that super duper totally awesome speaker, try not to buy anything from them right then and there. Take a day or so, despite all the buy now supposedly "soft sell" pressure. Hate to say, but sometimes the program turns into a big sell for either actions, instructional DVD's or heck even the slides of the program. Nothing against this since I know the speakers don't really get paid, but just a reminder to keep cool with the buying.

4. Your gonna get a ton of brochures and hand outs. I've actually started to not take em anymore while walking through the floor. However, considering it's your first time, heck why not take on all the paper you can though you might want to leave the duplicates and the ones you don't really need at the hotel for recycling.

5. I would bring a camera but don't sling it around your neck and look like a total noob. How about one of those ultra sexy pocket ones with like 10 megs or something.

6. I generally don't bring a laptop since well it's another thing to carry but you should if you can't stay away from email and the net for more than a couple of days.

Other than that just have fun!
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 12-17-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Just two quick things I've learned...

1) at the trade show - have a bag for the 'keeper' materials and a bag for the 'throw away' materials. It makes it easier when you get back to your room/home to go through them - if you separate them into the "good" and "bad" bags when you receive them, you can just toss the 'bad' bag and not think more of it. It's hard to remember what places you really liked at the end of it all - they start to run together after a while!

2) The labels are a good idea, but most of these shows now have a bar code on the back of your badge, so the vendors just scan that code and they have all your info - much easier than putting a business card in a fishbowl or carrying labels with you. However, DO absolutely have business cards ready to had out!

Make sure you go over all the programs and when and where they are. It can be a little confusing they way it's organized (by tracks). Make note of the programs you want to see and write up your own schedule. When the time comes, you can be very distracted by everything going on and you may miss what you came there for.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

8. Default

great tips everyone!

I was actually thinking of using my laptop to take notes on during the programs...is that totally unrealistic? Also, I'll probably be bringing a relatively small laptop/camera backpack to hold a few things in (I can't NOT take pictures ). I'm not bringing loads of stuff, but I'm probably going to be purchasing a lens there (I've been needing this one for a while and decided I might as well try it out and buy it at the trade show), and I'm bringing my camera to test it and a few other things. Is all of this overkill? I would certainly rather not look like a total noob lugging tons of camera equipment around when nobody else is, as Marc mentioned.

Daniel, if you want to take pics of stuff at the convention just take a good point and shoot! It's a lot easier than lugging around all the camera stuff. Now photographing around Tampa is another story. Bring the camera stuff, just not to the programs and tradeshow.
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri MacCallum View Post
    Daniel, if you want to take pics of stuff at the convention just take a good point and shoot! It's a lot easier than lugging around all the camera stuff. Now photographing around Tampa is another story. Bring the camera stuff, just not to the programs and tradeshow.

ahhh got it. Unfortunately I don't have a p&s I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

I'll probably have to decide whether or not I feel comfortable leaving my stuff in my hotel room...but honestly, I might just carry everything in my pack and just not bring it out, just because that will be my laptop case for the week. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks Cheri!