Judges Critiques at IUSA - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    Are there any hard guidelines as to what you could or would show a judge for comments?
    Nope - whatever you want to bring. I have seen everything from discount store photography studio type portraits to fully enhanced art type images. Like I said - this is aimed at getting feedback on potential competition prints so there is no limit on what that subject matter might be. But that doesn't mean if you aren't planning on entering you can't sign up to learn.

I usually start by asking the maker what their goals are. What information do they want from me. That tells me if they are aiming for high scores in print competition, if they are trying to get started in competition and don't want to embarass themselves, or if they just need direction to start improving their every day client work. It really is a very non-threatening session for even the most timid about sharing their work. I try to send everyone away from the session in a great mood, because they either know thier work is good or they know what steps they need to take to make it good.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Sounds great! So now tell me why I wouldn't want you to be my critique judge? I trust you completely so why not you as opposed to another judge I wouldn't know. I would expect nothing less from you than your honest input anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jackson View Post
    So now tell me why I wouldn't want you to be my critique judge? I trust you completely so why not you as opposed to another judge I wouldn't know. I would expect nothing less from you than your honest input anyway.
    Well - I was being self deprecating but to really be honest, anyone that knows me from here should already feel comfortable asking me what I think. So the print critique at IUSA is an opportunity to hear another opinion. I always suggest that it's a good idea to ask 3 or 4 different qualified people for input. If the same points keep coming up, you can pretty much know it's a valid issue. If only one person comments on a certain aspect, it may be correct but it might also be irrelevant. Another reason for a second opinion, I am somewhat of a technical person and I am also a Master Artist - so if there is a technical issue or a lot of artwork has been done, I will probably see it. So it might be nice to visit with someone who is more of an emotional or intuitive type. So hopefully you can see the value in hearing from more than one judge. For all the same reasons why there is more than one judge on a panel.

Be sure to bring either high res files and a laptop or actual 8x10 prints. There are too many things you just can't tell from looking at a low res file. I also suggest the images be full frame as the judge may see something different in cropping then what you did. It's nice to know when discussing options on a print, if there is more room available.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Thanks Keith - I signed up!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Wow, I didn't know we could bring out laptop. That opens a lot of options. I had originally thought an 8x10 with a16x20 black board or paper for placement but more like...10 x 15 because I wanted full frame and then, what if I didn't want it that big on the 16 x 20? Oh, the options are scary endless! Instead, I'll bring 8x10s with the same but full frame on the laptop. Then they can see the print quality and we can mess with placement on the computer. (No photoshop, just elements on the laptop so no enticement to get carried away with editing choices.

I've shared my goals with Keith before and I'll share them here, too. Okay, okay, I have tons of goals but I'm referring to competition.

These are in no particular order and I don't expect to reach them in less than five years. This will be my third year for competition. The first year, I had no idea what I was doing and stumbled into two merits with one being showcase. The second year, I got lots more advice and felt I knew more of what was going on but still find certain aspects....surprising during critique. All four merited. One was worked so much with advice from so many, I really was surprised. One was because it just is, another was reworked some and recropped with advice from several. The last one was, as Marc calls it, a hail mary entry. It was taken on vacation in May and entered that summer. I worked it myself without much advice and dang, it merited. I feel much more confident but it was more fun to work with others on the images.

My goals....to merit an image without much manipulation. I want to capture it IN camera. To merit an image of a portrait. Since I don't do many yet, that would be a big improvement. And of course, as we all want...I want a loan.

Above all, I've learned SO MUCH about photography, it's amazing. Some call competition a game, that's fine but I've rarely played a game without learning something. This is no different. I look at images through the camera so much differently than I did before.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Gregory View Post
    Above all, I've learned SO MUCH about photography, it's amazing. Some call competition a game, that's fine but I've rarely played a game without learning something. This is no different. I look at images through the camera so much differently than I did before.
    And that folks is the real goal of competition, both for we as a photographers improve and for our clients work improves (oh and of course they are willing to pay more for better work).
    Last edited by Keith_A_Howe; 12-02-2007 at 03:57 AM.
    Keith A. Howe

If anyone has Jim's phone number, please PM me with it. I've moved and need my case to get my new address on it. I've sent him an email but have not heard back. Neither UPS or Fed ex (whomever ppa is using) does not forward. I really need to get in touch with him!!!
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri MacCallum View Post
    If anyone has Jim's phone number, please PM me with it.
    Cheri - go to the PPA website under find a photographer and enter James Dingwell and there it is. 402-476-6571 Or if you read the thread about Buddy Stewart in tghe open forum and the letter posted from Jim, it has his PPA phone number 866.591.9190. Jim has been sick with pnemonia - so that's probably why he hasn't got back to you. He is fine now and trying to catch up on stuff.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. I started another thread under IUSA but in case you don't see it there here's the info. Critique time slots are still available. Call JIm Dingwell TODAY at 866.591.9190 or stop by his table in the print show at IUSA.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Keith,
    I may do this since I gat a laptop for Christmas, but can I request you? This whole thing scares me to death. It may be easier if I know the person ripping me to shreds
    Did you miss me?
    Andrea Chapelo, CPP
    www.chapelophotography.com