Just bought ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought ...

Default Just bought ...

I got an e-mail this morning from Barnes and Nobel that a book I ordered was in. My son and daughter in law gave me a gift card for Christmas. I bought " The Professional Photographer's Guide to Success in Print Competition". It's by Patrick Rice PPA Certified, MPhotog, Cr. PFA, ALPE . Hon. - ALPE. The ISBN # is ISBN 1-58428-096-4

I've had that in my Amazon wish list for quite some time. Let us know what you think of it.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Default Good book ...

Hi Kirk;

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to get into print competition. Even for those who have entered before - there is a lot of information. Patrick is looking to have an updated version available some time in the future. There is only one section that will not be a lot of help. He talks about doing physical step-mounts while that is now all done with Photoshop. (I remember doing all the work of a step-mount by hand and am sooooo glad I can now do it all in Photoshop) Is it worth the $29.95 ? I would say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    ...It's by Patrick Rice PPA Certified, MPhotog, Cr. PFA, ALPE . Hon. - ALPE. ...
    I've been around this business since 1973 and some of the acronyms still throw me...
    OK, I'll bite - so what does PFA and ALPE stand for ??????? And if I can't find ALPE what's an Honorary ALPE ??????
    I googled both and PFA comes up Professional Football Association or Polyurethane Foam Association - hmmmmmm... can't be that...
    and ALPE just returns a bunch of hits about skiing in Switzerland...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Remember, the Lord ALPEs those that ALPE themselves!
    Always take care to watch out for the other fellow. He may be plotting something.

Saw many old fashioned step mounts and matted images this year at Imaging. What's old is new again it seems so that chapter may come in very handy to some. Since it's so different, it may really catch the judges eye which is what we want!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Massarini View Post
    I've been around this business since 1973 and some of the acronyms still throw me...
    OK, I'll bite - so what does PFA and ALPE stand for ??????? And if I can't find ALPE what's an Honorary ALPE ??????
    I googled both and PFA comes up Professional Football Association or Polyurethane Foam Association - hmmmmmm... can't be that...
    Rick,

I've never heard of them either,....my guess is State level degrees...
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I have this book and as someone new to competition, found it to be very helpful and definitely worth the purchase!
    Keely Deuschle, Cr.Photog, CPP
    Orange Park, FL
    President, Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild

Default I have no idea either ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Massarini View Post
    Hi Rick;

I have no idea either ... I just copied the credentials after his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Gregory View Post
    Saw many old fashioned step mounts and matted images this year at Imaging. What's old is new again it seems so that chapter may come in very handy to some. Since it's so different, it may really catch the judges eye which is what we want!
    Hi Linda,
    I (finally) joined PPA last year, it seems just minutes before the print competition deadline, and rushed to get some prints ready. The last time I had entered a print competition was 1985 and, while I made a couple of calls to colleagues in PPA (each of whom has multiple degrees) to get some tips, I had no idea that things had changed so much (and they assumed that I, um, had a clue about what I was doing....)

So, I entered a couple of those prints that you saw hanging with the physical mounts. And, after speaking with some judges and participating in the Mentoring program (I'll never miss that opportunity again -- wow!), I can pretty much assure you that "What once was old is STILL old." The judges with whom I spoke agreed across the board that judges have certain expectations when the carousel spins -- and physical mounts are definitely not what they want to see. Shadows, the possibility or imperfect corners, incompletely finished edges -- lots of things that can cost you points, nothing that will provide an advantage over a digital mat.

What I Learned in Mentoring, Summed Up In a Few Words:
    --Full-bleed 16x20 print, incorporating a digital mat or step mount.
    --Short title.
    --Gloss, gloss, gloss.

[By the way, Patrick's book was recently sent to me for review . . . I wish I had seen it a year ago.]

I have State competition coming up in a few weeks and have been diligently revising images to conform to feedback from the Mentoring program, the new Epson 3800 has arrived (I see no compelling reason to purchase the 4880 over the 3800 unless you prefer roll paper), and a couple of gallons of gloss are on order.

May your prints be perfect when the carousel spins!
    Pete
    (P.S., A comment from one judge sticks in my mind: "If you merited two images mounted like THAT, I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing them -- they must be outstanding photos!")