preparing for the CPP

Default preparing for the CPP

I am new to the forum as well...I have the london book, and have read it 3 times. Yup, three times! In Arizona, there is only one person teaching courses on taking the exam, and it is infrequently offered. Of course, I was unable to get to the last one and there isn't another before the exam is offered in Arizona in February. Anyone got suggestions or any online tutorials on the art of taking the exam? I am kind of thinking of something like practice testing, etc. And really, I am just looking for all the help I can get! AND are there any sections or topics in the london book that are not being tested on anymore? I use to do black and white film (eons ago). Do they test on that process? Any feedback would be appreciated.

There is little on the test that is primarily of historic use: i.e. film processes and chemicals and such. You oughtta know what the difference is between fixer and developer and things of that nature, but you don't need to know it in much deeper detail than that.

The things to focus on (for the portrait test) are exposure, lighting, color theory, and the operation of a modern camera. You ought to be able to construct a color wheel from memory and understand how filters work. You ought to be able to determine equivalent exposures given varying ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. You ought to know how to calculate lighting ratios. You ought to know enough photoshop to know why you'd use the unsharp mask filter. You ought to understand how, in general, a DSLR works- what resolution is, and that sort of thing.

If you have read the entire London book more than once and understood what you have read it should be a breeze.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Default thanks!

Thanks Mark,

You put me at ease with your answers!

Thanks, Mark! I, too, am preparing for the test. I've been reading the book, but was curious about the same.
    Keely Deuschle, Cr.Photog, CPP
    Orange Park, FL
    President, Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild

If you go to the PPA web site, and click on Certification, there is a wealth of information in there, including sample questions. I found those to be very helpful. Also, do a search on this forum for certification and you will find a lot of helpful information. A class should not be necessary for the exam as long as you have the London book, the sample questions, and a good solid foundation.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

Shelly,

Of course all the exams are different but on mine there were questions about tilt and swing on a view camera, the color wheel, filter factors, and converting certain aperture/shutter time values. It was definitely technically detailed and I learned so much stuff studying for the exam...

Also know that there will be a two-day study session in Tampa on the Friday and Saturday before Imaging USA... there is info on the Imaging USA website.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Phillip_Colwart; 11-30-2007 at 12:46 AM.
    -Phillip Colwart, CPP
    www.phillipcolwart.com

Can I add a question here (as I am kinda sorta considering taking the exam in February)? HOW much about film do I need to know? Do I really need to know the different film latitudes etc? How much of the film details do I need? I've learned it, but I don't KNOW it like other stuff if you know what I mean. So do I need to burn it in my brain, considering how unlikely it is I'll ever put it to actual use (I know that question shows my age, but the only time I used film was when this was purely a hobby and then all I really looked at was the ISO)?
    Tracy, CPP
    Recording Secretary, VPPA State Board of Directors
    2015 VPPA Convention Chairman
    VPPA Tidewater District Treasurer

You don't need to know anything proprietary (brand specific).

You do need to know aperture/shutter relationships like you know the number of fingers on your left hand. You need to know every way that every camera control affects the picture and how it interacts with every other camera control. You need to know color theory--memorize the color wheel in order so you know what color is adjacent to what, what color is complementary to what. Know lighting ratios coming and going--how to get from a ratio to a light setting and back again.
    Last edited by KirkDarling; 12-01-2007 at 05:12 AM.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP