Super Monday Question(s)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Super Monday Question(s)

Hi all,
    I was considering doing a Super Monday class for April, but was unsure if it was kosher to hold the classes at a location other than your studio ('specially since I don't have one anymore ). I was thinking of doing a walk thru of how we photograph a wedding simulating everything (in a condensed version) from the pre-ceremony to the reception and everything in between. All of this would be location work. Then I thought it would be cool to go over our workflow and procession techniques and maybe even touch on marketing and pricing.

I'm basicly just looking for advice here since I've never done one, but I thought it would be cool to start working hard toward a couple degrees. Please, tell me your thoughts... and let me know what you think the turnout would be especially here. Would I be ahead to travel to MD or PA to do this? Am I even permitted to do that? Should I scrap the idea for now?
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

andiegoodman

Thumbs up

Go for it! Time is running out to apply. You can always have people meet you at your "office" and drive to wherever you want to take them.

Hey Dan,

One time I was scheduled to do a SM but my bathroom in the studio was not working so I moved it to the local Hilton. Of course, I had to pay for the meeting room but that was better than not having the use of a bathroom for the students.

Anyways, I dont think it would be a problem doing a "on the field" SM though simulating a wedding would probably cost you a donation to the church and some fee involved in doing the reception part of the day. Remember you don't get paid anything unless your a crafstman and they get the first 7 registrations.

As far as turnout, it kindda depends. I've done SM's with 15 and as few as 4. It helps to advertise it as well though you don't really get funds for putting out your own flyers or postcards.

Eitherway, it's a good experience and it's training for you as well. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

I know where your coming from Dan
    I am hosting my first SM in years and I was very unsure about there still being any interest in a wedding program (basically the same thing you just outlined) the good news is I have one student registered. (HA) If you look at the registration report you'll see I'm not alone. Several of the SM programs this fall have only one student registered. I attended a Super Monday where I was the only student back in 2000. In fact it was the best SM I ever attended. I got the whole day for myself! Anyway, I'm sure it would be fine to conduct the program where ever you want. Go for it!

Well you got my curiosity up so I looked at the registration report a little more closely. First of all no one in West Virginia volunteered as an instructor for this coming SM. (sad) Of the 117 SM programs this fall 28 have only one student registered (sad). Now for my own state of Illinois with a population well over six million here's the scoop. Only four PPA members stepped up to volunteer as instructors and only 17 students have registered to attend any of these four programs. (sad) On a happier note we (Illinois) do have one of the ten programs out of the 117 that is booked full. So I think Jackie Haggerty deserves some extra credit (or Prozac)

Anyway, YES you should volunteer to instruct a Super Monday Class next spring. West Virginia needs you!
    Last edited by David_A._Lottes; 11-01-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks guys,
    That's the kinda input I'm looking for. I was thinking of holding the class at a local hotel or reception venue/meeting hall... the owner likes me and I think I can get a good deal at one of our nicer halls. As for a church, who knows but I can look into it. Maybe it will depend on attendance.

Thanks again guys and I'm all ears for anymore suggestions...
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Lottes View Post
    Now for my own state of Illinois with a population well over six million here's the scoop. Only four PPA members stepped up to volunteer as instructors and only 17 students have registered to attend any of these four programs.
    Well, my wife and I make for two of those 17! We attended last time with four or so additional students, and the small class was nice.

We might have signed up for your class, David, but we've already done the wedding thing enough times to get the hang of it. We did try to find your studio once but couldn't locate it in a drive through Sidney, and your phone was voice mail only at the time.

( A by-the-way: Last time we were in the area, we ended up driving a turbo-diesel pickup with a full grain wagon to the elevator and back for an afternoon. 30 tons ( they say ) and no surge brakes, at about 20 MPH, and you really have to slow down early! First time for me. No damage done, although once I almost skidded into an intersection at slow speed, and another time I had to furiously pump the brakes to stop from 5 MPH on the elevator's gravel lot... About 7 feet to spare! Talk about inertia! )

Anyhow, we went to the Make More Money conference in Memphis ( HIGHLY recommended! ), decided to skip Imaging USA this winter, and we're doing Super Monday and maybe a few other local things instead.
    Brian Dunn Photographic
    http://www.BDphotographic.com

Brian, Dude!
    Leave a message next time. You never know, I might just be screening my calls.

I think the been there done that syndrome is the problem with wedding programs. Mine is the only one in the state this November. A bigger talent would have booked more students. Thats all the more reason for someone else to step up. Have you ever seen the self help book titled "I ain't much baby but I'm all I've got". (HA)!

Personally I would love to attend a Super Monday wedding program. The industry is changing so much every year. I'd really like to see any bodies strategy for staying in the game. Good bad or indifferent. If Dan steps up, I might be driving to WV next spring.

If Dan steps up, I might be driving to WV next spring.
    Now you tell me! I didn't send in the application because I didn't think their seemed like a big demand for a wedding Super Monday around here... which is sad because I think their are ways not to just stay in the game but thrive in it. Closing down my studio and switching to weddings only was the greatest thing I've ever done.
    Dan Leary, CPP

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

Well shucks!
    You know there's probably a program in that. Running a wedding only business from home. I bet that would draw a crowd. Well there's always next November.

Well shucks!
    You know there's probably a program in that. Running a wedding only business from home. I bet that would draw a crowd. Well there's always next November.
    DOH! Now you're making me regret not signing up! That would be an awesome program...
    Dan Leary, CPP

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com