Super Monday Instructor Deadline: Friday Nov. 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Super Monday Instructor Deadline: Friday Nov. 2

Deadline for April 2007 Super Monday Instructors: Friday, November 2.
    The deadline to show what you know as a Super Monday Instructor is approaching! Volunteer to share your knowledge at one of PPA's most successful education initiatives. Proceeds from Super Monday support PPA's education programs, and instructors earn two speaking merits toward a PPA degree. The deadline to volunteer for the April 7, 2008 Supermonday is Friday, November 2.

Note: Photographic Craftsman instructors will receive $50 per student after the seventh paid attendee.

Gregory Aide
    Production Manager

Gregory......I've often wondered about if, and how, Super Monday programs can be promoted to photographers who are NOT members of PPA. It seems that is an untapped market, and if some attend they might become interested in joining PPA. I'm a Certified Master Craftsman, but there are only a dozen PPA members within a 75-mile radius of Texarkana, Tx., and would be willing to teach a Super Monday if we can market the program beyond this number.

Vaughn Monigold
    southcrestgallery@alltel.net

Super Monday is promoted via Professional Photographer magazine, who's circulation reaches about 24,000 non-PPA photographers. Our email newsletters also reach another 10,000 non-members, and hopefully, word is also getting out to PPA Affiliates via their newsletters/email. Many affiliates are made up of a mix of PPA members and non-members.
    Gregory Aide
    Production Manager

Default Re: Super Monday Instructor Deadline: Friday Nov. 2

I have also noticed a significant drop in available courses this year. If my memory serves me correctly there was at least two in the St. Louis area and at least three others in the central Illinois area aside from Buddy Bartels. This year there are 0 in St. Louis and the only one in Central Illinois is the basic lighting course by Buddy Bartels.

Quote Originally Posted by dpalme View Post
    I have also noticed a significant drop in available courses this year. If my memory serves me correctly there was at least two in the St. Louis area and at least three others in the central Illinois area aside from Buddy Bartels. This year there are 0 in St. Louis and the only one in Central Illinois is the basic lighting course by Buddy Bartels.

I think that the reason of the decline (yes, there is a noticeable decline) of volunteer teachers is the decline of the value of the teaching merit, it's just not a strong enough incentive anymore. Also, might be worth looking at lowering down the 8+ attendee bonus to over 4.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

I am not sure I understand what you mean by the teaching merit not being enough of an incentive anymore.

The instructors who teach are doing so free of charge... and just receive speaking merits for their time. Now, Marc mentions the 8+ attendee bonus... photographic Craftsman volunteers receive $50 per student after the 7th paid attendee. But many of the courses end up being smaller classes than that... so it's back to just the merit incentive for those instructors
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

I teamed up with Todd Buckstead last Spring for a Super Monday program. We had ONE student. That was the second and probably last Super Monday I'll bother doing as an instructor. It's not worth the effort if no one is will to come.

We did promote the class. Tell me why we should be involved if no one will come.

I understand, this is the second year in a row that I did not attend a class in either the spring for fall session simply due to the lack of available classes. This fall I see only like two in the entire state of illinois and three years ago there was at least 15.

What are the criteria for instructors, and for course topics? I like to teach, have extensive photo workshop instruction experience, and might be inclined to offer a Super Monday course.

I, too was surprised at the small number of nearby offerings this October. None excited me, and our state affiliate meeting is on the same day. I wonder who wasn't paying attention when they scheduled that.