Default Portrait of Local Artist

Here is a portrait of a local artist taken minutes before an exhibition. Is either of these worth considering for my first print competition. Please be brutal, I am one that LEARNS MORE from Harsher Criticism.

Thanks for any critiques,

Scott A. Breaux

Scott,

I love this but since you won't be able to explain the off the cuff grabshot, I feel the glass glare will hurt you. I'll let others post about other items and possibly you can take care of the glare in photoshop and look natural.

good luck and have fun!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A. Breaux View Post
    Is either of these worth considering for my first print competition. Scott A. Breaux
    Scott,

Absolutely, enter the image. Entering images is an exciting experience and worth the effort. I can't guarantee that you'll merit but no matter what you score (as long as it hangs) you have an award winning image that you can use to market your studio.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Scott,

Can you get the Artist into your studio for another session? You have tremendous potential with this subject...

Your image posted here has some elements about it that will make it difficult to merit. The lightest part of the image is the top of the hat. The second is his beard. What is your center of interest? I would suggest that it's his face (eyes first). Because of these bright areas the viewers attention is drawn away from (what I believe is) the center of interest. You also have a black background, with no detail/interest and a busy pattern on his shirt.

If you could get him into your studio wearing the appropriate clothing and light him in a dramatic way.. you could easily have a merit image.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

You have tremendous potential with this subject...
    This is the from the master of the "bearded guy with a hat" merit print.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    This is the from the master of the "bearded guy with a hat" merit print.
    ROTFLMAO...
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

I wasn't kidding. He really is.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Levesque View Post
    I wasn't kidding. He really is.
    I know Don's work well... that's what makes it so funny.
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

Thanks for all of the input. I have spoken with the subject and we will try to get together for a full session when the exhibition is over. In the meantime, though I started playing with the image in Painter and I think I like it more than the original.

Default When you do another session ...

Hi Scott;

When you do get together for another session, I'd go low key. Make sure you don't blow out all of the beard detail. Go through the PPA Loan Books and look at classic portraits of men with full beards.