Important notice about the Certified Professional Photographer Examination
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Important notice about the Certified Professional Photographer Examination

As with any professional competency credentialing program, the Certified Professional Photographer program constantly reviews and updates its processes. This year we are proud to announce a completely revised photography exam. The new examination represents years of hard work by dozens of prestigious professional photographers who assisted us in updating the examination information and reviewing the questions and specifications.

It’s important to us that candidates and Certified Photographers have confidence in the processes of the program and in the criterion for evaluation. The updated exam will help ensure that candidates are properly evaluated in the ever changing photographic industry.

If you would like a copy of the completely revised certification information packet please contact the PPA service center at 800-786-6277 or at csc@ppa.com. If you have questions about the new exam or the new exam process, please feel free to contact us at your convenience.
    Last edited by Gregory_Aide; 11-15-2005 at 06:00 PM.
    Gregory Aide
    Production Manager

Default Since there are now more ....

As a C.P.P. Liason for Pennsylvania, I will get this question answered. So not only for my information but for those planning to take the exam as well as state group officers who will need to plan for an exam room and how long tyo have the room available ... the old test allowed for up to two hours for completion. How much more time will now be allowed ? I won't be giving it again until our February meeting but others may give it sooner. Thanks;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // PPA C.P.P. Liason

P.S. ... for anyone who would like to take the exam and live in, or near, Pennsylvania, please e-mail me at floryphotog@mindspring.com or call the studio at (717) 838-9087 . I give it four times a year. Keep in mind that you must contact PPA to have a test prepared for you.

Default Preparing for Certification

What would you suggest to an up and coming photographer as to how to prepare for testing? Many of us haven't had formal college courses in photography and are self taught...any help would be appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Jane Ann

Default The Test

The only gripe I have (and believe me it's a minor thing) is that I wish the test could be reviewed to see what I missed. As in print competition, you learn from the judges' critiques, it would be nice to learn from the test. I realize that there are reasons for not letting the test get out, this is just my observation and opinion on how future testing could be improved.

Greetings Jane Ann,

Get a packette from your state rep, and read, read, read the book "Photography" by London and Upton. Then, read the book some more

Good luck,

Dana Nordlund, CPP

Default Preparation for the exam ...

I agree with Dana ... get the PPA packet. Call 1 (800) 786-6277 and ask for Certification. They will send you the information. Or, as Dana suggested, find out who is the Certification Liason for your state. Along with one other guy, I'm Liason for Pennsylvania. I already have info in my briefcase for our next state association meeting. (February) Go to www.ppa.com and download the .pdf file that lists all laisons and look for your state.

I believe "Photography" is still the suggested book for study. Upton & Upton was the published when I bought it for my test 20 years ago.

If you belong to your state, or more local pro assn., seek as much knowledge from C.P.P.'s, Craftsmen, and Masters as possible. And, it's not too early to start thinking about which 20 images you will submit for that part of becoming certified. Show them to those I alluded to for opinions on which would be good to submit. The 20 images must show a cross-section of your work. So if you do 25% weddings you would send 4 wedding images. Children 40% ... submit 8 of kids and and so forth.

As for actually taking the exam, when you find your state's liason, find out when the tests are given. I give it 4 times a year here in Pa. but each state is different. Good luck;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // Liason // Recon Team

Default Time

I just got the word. When the C.P.P. test was reduced, in the amount of questions, the time allowed stayed at 2 hours. So now that it has gone back up again it will remain at two hours to complete the exam. So when you sign up to take it ... allow for the full two hours.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // Liason // PPA Recon

Question newbie

Hello to all!
    I am new to this site. I am self taught , and going on four years of being seriously interested in portrait photography. I am not sure what sort of level I am at as compared to the other members here. This is actually the first time I have ever even heard of the certified pro exam! I am very interested. Please explain in more depth. What will this do for me?
    Tomesphotos

Hello Bobbi
    Man are you in luck! As a former Hoosier I 'll let you in on a little secret. All this started in INDIANA! There used to be an old High School in a town in Nortern Indiana called Winona Lake that was converted into a school for professional photographers. That core group of professionals over the years has grown to become the Professional Photographers of America! The school no longer exists in Indiana and the headquarters have moved to Atlanta but many of the founding fathers or their ancestors carry-on in Indiana to this day. Indiana has an excellent State Organization and two smaller affiliate groups. One in Indianapolis and another in Northern Indiana and there is also the Deguere Club which is an Indiana only forerunner of the PPA. This last group is by invitation only. Anyway you are in the belly of the beast. Ever wonder why portraits/weddings,etc. all look so great in your area? Now you know! Do a google search for the Professional Photographers of Indiana. This will get you to a member list and you will probably find someone you already know. Call em up and ask how to get involved. They really are a great bunch, I miss them dearly. - David

Default C.P.P.'s & non - C.P.P's ...

I got a mailing from PPA today with details about the C.P.P. changes. If you don't get it in a few days, and are certified ... call PPA. There are some cool things to check out.

If you are not certified ... why not ? Call PPA right now. And find out who the C.P.P. Liason is for your state, or area, and when the next test will be given. There is a list on the PPA site you can download in .pdf form. If near Pennsylvania, I'll be giving the exam to those who are signed up with PPA, and with me, ... on Sunday February 12th. It will be at the Radisson Penn Harris hotel near Harrisburg. Call PPA & then call me at (717)838-9087 Or e-mail me at floryphotog@mindspring.com

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // PPA C.P.P. Liason // ASP

Hi Craig
    I got the new materials today and I think it looks pretty good I like the further specialized rankings idea but I'm wondering how to answer the FAQs that already come with certification. Many of my clients ask "Whats CPP or Certified by who?" I always explain that I am certified by a panel of professional photographers and must meet certain criteria such as print submission etc., etc. I even have a link to the PPA web page regarding certification on my own web site. Now that it is a third party certification I'm not sure if I know the answer to these questions anymore? What about you, any thoughts? Thanks - David