Are these 78ish too?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are these 78ish too?

I love coming here and marveling at the work! I never post though....now I come asking for help....Don't you just love it?!

Seems I only score 78 - 79....I really want to improve! Anything grab you here for state competition? Any titles? Anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (14.3 KB, 178 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (20.8 KB, 177 views)

A couple more...

Last ones...

Default Fun images ...

Hi Sheila;

Congratulations on posting images. Some people never get up the nerve to do so.

These are fun images and I'm sure your clients loved them. Have you ever walked through a museum and looked at classic paintings ? How many were smiling at the artist or even looking like they were cognizant of the artist ? I also recommend that you invest in one, or more, of the PPA Loan Collection Books. Peruse through and look at the ideas & presentations.

The 2 images closest to working are the Marine officer and his lady and the two kids fishing. I'd like to see them bigger. Could you post again with much bigger images so we can see more detail ?

Sheila,

The Ballerina has possibilities to me but she's going to have to stand out more. I would grunge and darken the background to both make her stand out more and to give more of an opposite feel...delicate ballerina vs urban jungle surroundings.

I would love to hear someone else chime in on this. I took her into photoshop to see what I could get with the low rez file and it looked possible to me but I'd rather she had more movement in her posture, too.

ah, the possibilities!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Thank you for the replies and the help. I really value the guidance! I will repost larger if someone will be so kind as to tell me the optimum size....

The ballerina comes closest for me, but I think the perspective is off....you have included the sky and that forces the tonal range too wide.
    Too many of your images with trees in bkgnd have light spots coming thru...that's distracting.
    The last image(little girl) has sooooo much unnecessary stuff in the image....use the KISS principle. Keep it simple.
    Last edited by Dave_Cisco; 09-25-2007 at 04:34 AM.

Default My take on it ...

Hi Sheila;

Here is my take on the Marine and his lady. ("Home On Leave" or "Home At Last" ?)

I went with a white background, instead of black, and put them on the 4th quadrant. I also deepened the image layer. I hope this helps you see possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Hopewell View Post
    I will repost larger if someone will be so kind as to tell me the optimum size....
    Sheila
    Save your files at what ever you like, I use 8x10 @250 WITH a copyright notice on it! remember these are public forums. Then get a free photobucket account at www.photobucket.com. The site sizes them as they upload. Click the image tag and then paste it into your post.

Now as I see it with the low res files, the ballerina feels the strongest to me. Hard to tell with these images. I agree with all the comments Dave and Linda stated on this image. Images 2,3 and 6 are the weakest. 2 is very busy (trees vs sky, uniform vs dress against tree trunks, and has what appears to be lens flare) I would place it as the weakest of these images. 3 boys by the pond, has light splotches and the busyness of the trees as well as a horz line coming into the boys head. 6 - I agree it is too busy, my eye bounces around the image. If I were placeing them strongest to weakest I would go 1,4,5,3,6,2. JMO

Competition is a great learning experience / tool. Taking your images and entering them then asking for CC from the judges is one of the fastest ways to improve your work. Looking at the low res files here I do feel they will be in the average to above average range.

Good Luck Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default I keep coming back to ...

Hi Keith;

I have come back and re-read what you said a bunch of times now. In the dancer I see a static pose where she is just standing and looking at the camera. I don't see a story in it. With the Marine officer and his lady I see a story ... back from combat with his love. So please tell me why you like the Marine the least. As ex air force from during Nam', that was far more powerful to me. I liked the ballerina the least.