Specialty Endorsement Documentation

Default Specialty Endorsement Documentation

Wednesday evening, I was accused by another photographer of unethical if not illegal activities. S/he thought I had modified the PPA Certification Logo by replacing "CERTIFIED" with "WEDDING" This photographer checked the PPA website yet, did not find any documentation concerning the CPP Specialty Endorsement program. A follow up call to the PPA service center was made and the representative was also unaware of the CPP Specialty Endorsement program. In fact, the only information I could find about Endorsement program on either the PPA or Certification Commission websites was within the Endorsement Application itself. While I have resolved the problem with the other photographer, it does point out a problem. For if a photographer is confused, what will the general public think?

The following actions need to be taken to promote the specialty endorsements and avoid future problems for those CPP who have earned their specialty endorsements:
    1. The PPA Service Center staff need to be informed about the CPP Specialty Endorsement program.
    2. The PPA and Certification Commission website pages which can be accessed by the general public need to be updated to include information about the CPP Specialty Endorsement program.
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

The Certification is its own entity now, so the PPA staff is not updated on certification matters. If you go to the www.certifiedphotographer.com website, which is now the official certification area, you will see your specialty designation in the search parameters. I've just checked the Ill. Photogs wedding specialties and your name is appropriated listed.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Nevertheless, PPA staff should be informed about this sort of thing. It can't be a "not my yob" sort of thing. The mere fact that PPA does not certify directly does not absolve PPA staff from being informed on the matter. This isn't rocket science. There's no reason they shouldn't know this stuff.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

PPA staff should be informed about this sort of thing.
    Not only that but very few people realize the certification process has been spun off to an independent commission. There is information on the PPA website so it would be logical for people to call the PPA service center for more information.
    Regards,

The only iinformation for consumers about the certification program is on the ppa.com site: http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=14

So if the ppa.com site preports to present consumer information about certification, it should also contain information about the specialty endorsements. Both sites should have it where consumers are going to see it.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gan View Post
    The Certification is its own entity now, so the PPA staff is not updated on certification matters. If you go to the www.certifiedphotographer.com website, which is now the official certification area, you will see your specialty designation in the search parameters. I've just checked the Ill. Photogs wedding specialties and your name is appropriated listed.
    Michael,

I do not believe this to be correct. I have 2 specialty endorsements- in seniors and families- yet that is not listed as a specialty. I do not believe the specialties are noted- the information that is by the photographers name is something they have marked on the application for certification- and not a specialty endorsement received.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Hi Howard
    David Mithofer is the guy you want to bring this to the attention of. He's a member of OurPPA.com so just find his user profile and send him a PM. ...... But you knew that didn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Lottes View Post
    Hi Howard
    David Mithofer is the guy you want to bring this to the attention of. He's a member of OurPPA.com so just find his user profile and send him a PM. ...... But you knew that didn't you.
    David L,

I did know that. In fact, my post is actually a copy of the e-mail I sent Mr. Mithofer (too many Davids and Howards around here). But I also posted it here to allow others to be aware of the situation and also to garner support for my suggestions.
    Regards,