A plug for OurPPA critiques
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default A plug for OurPPA critiques

This year at Nationals I elected to fork over the extra bucks for a video critque of the prints I entered. The critiques were good and helpful for sure, but NOTHING was said that was not already mentioned when I posted the images here for comment and critique.

So, just wanted to plug this forum and the many folks who graciously spend time critiquing and providing comments on the images we post here.

Thanks to all those folks ... you know who you are!
    John Heckler, M.Photog, CPP

Avatar compliments of Laura Laine Photography

I agree - the critiques I got here were a lot more in-depth and detailed than on the DVD. (I didn't remember ordering a critique, but apparently I did). While it was nice to get, I definately learned more about my prints and what I should have done differently, here than on the critique! Thanks everyone!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Sigh...I invested in the critique thinking it would offer valuable insights... I don't believe the entire video lasted more than 60 seconds (for all four prints) and some of that time was promo for PPA event.

In their defense, each image got 2 specific comments (brief, 2-3 words). I look forward to participating again but will not order critique again...simply wasn't worth the investment.

Maybe I'm glad I saved my money. I was originally lamenting that I hadn't scraped together enough scratch to order the critique. But it seems that most people have been disappointed. I think I can point out the issues with the ones that didn't make it anyway. But I do find it interesting to hear what others think.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

I haven't received this year's critique but last year's was invaluable. Could it be the difference in those critiquing or are they not allowing enough time? I'll be interested to see what mine's like this year.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I got my critique and I was very impressed on how fast it came. I agree that there could be more to the critique (sorry Kalen) but I suppose that what was delivered was very acceptable under those crazy conditions at the tail end of the judging.

See here on the forums we actually have a lot of time to look at the images and then a whole lot of us chimes in so I'm thinking that most imaginable aspects of the image can be covered by the whole lot of us.

Eitherway, I think there is still value on getting the critique.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Gregory View Post
    Could it be the difference in those critiquing or are they not allowing enough time?
    Not surprising considering the number of entries that must be submitted. I worked on a creative competition in another field where the entire competition was somewhat fewer entries than what PPA lists as merited prints. It was a workflow nightmare. Each piece, unless exceptionally noteworthy, would get minimal time for scrutiny by the judges. Anyone know the figures on how many total prints are entered?
    Bob Smith
    Accurate Image
    Waco, TX

5,000?

extra characters here so it will accept message....

There are typically 5-6000 images entered each year. Although many of them have been prequalified from the affiliate judging, there is still the loan judging, EI, art, and wedding albums. When the judges do the critique, just remember that they have been judging for 3 days. I've judged in a state level with 350 images, most with critique and we were exhausted by the end of the day.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Got my dvd today and the review was very good. Well worth my money and then some. Maybe it is the different judges and their energy level but I learned tons and I've had many comments here about them as well as privately. Some of what the dvd said echoed them, other had new information so I'm pleased.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com