Input on this?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Input on this?

Hybrid View

Default Input on this?

I want to start entering print competitions, but, I don't know what is competition worthy, and what is something simple that I just like. I've only been to the one convention and missed sitting in on the big print critique. I did, however, get to observe a short program about the judging process, but regret that I don't feel I absorbed as much as I would've like to have.

This was from a session I had a couple of weeks ago. Is this anywhere near competition worthy? And if so, what color would you choose to put around it?

Thanks!

Tracy, CPP
    Recording Secretary, VPPA State Board of Directors
    2015 VPPA Convention Chairman
    VPPA Tidewater District Treasurer

I would say probably not.
    Since you missed the judging, I'd recommend the next best thing; get a couple of the General Collection books from recent years and start digging. If you look at enough images that merited, you'll begin to get a clue as to what the judges are looking for.

Thanks Dave! I'd be willing to bet a couple of my photographer friends around here have some of those books. I'll check them out.
    Tracy, CPP

Default This image ...

Hi Tracy;

I agree with Dave that this will never get an 80. However, don't let that stop you entering it in your state competition or other below regional and PPA. You need to get your feet wet some time.

On this image: #1 ... always try to post ideal format examples for us. Since all non-masters must enter a 16X20 or 20X16 entry try to post a 10X8 or something smaller that is proportional. If you get used to that you will think in terms of cropping and placement.

#2 ... her blouse is out of key. If you turn the image upside down & squint at it the brightest thing is her blouse and it takes too much away from her face.

#3 On a profile, I was taught to never see any of the far eye. You either have a ¾ view (where the nose does not break the plane of the cheek) or you have a profile with the nose faced so that none of the far eye shows.

#4 What I do like is the diagonal composition you have.

Here is how I see your image being presented. I took out her far eye and opened up the other. I made the subject layer small enough so she is on the 3rd quadrant. I made her blouse a shade lighter than the jeans. I deepened the subject layer. I made a fairly deep background layer and added a 1½ pixel accent line with a shade from her jeans. I hope my version helps you see and gets you going in the right direction.

Tracy-
    What about the 'dream' maternity images you posted on the other forum? Have you posted over here for input?

Chontelle

Default Alternate treatment ...

Hi Tracy;

So you get an alternative idea of treatment ... here is a different slant on it.

Thank you for the input and the direction to go in, Craig! I'll keep that other eye in mind in the future.

Chontelle, I've never really posted much over here. I'm pretty gaurded with those maternity images out of respect for my client (as gorgeous as she is), and I haven't posted them here with this being more public than the other place.

Does anyone know a good online resource to seeing prints that have gotten merits in the past? I know those PPA books are kinda costly. Are there any somewhere here on the PPA website?
    Tracy, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by tracymcgee View Post

Does anyone know a good online resource to seeing prints that have gotten merits in the past? I know those PPA books are kinda costly. Are there any somewhere here on the PPA website?

If they could be viewed online, no one would ever buy the books.
    They will save you money if you really want to start competing.

Default State 80's ...

Quote Originally Posted by tracymcgee View Post
    Thank you for the input and the direction to go in, Craig! I'll keep that other eye in mind in the future.

Hi Tracy;

Check out the 2007 slide shows of trophy winners on our Pa. state assn. site and then the slide show of blue ribbon images. (watch for mine of the geese ) There were a lot of excellent images in our competition this year.
    Go to www.ppaofpa.org and look for the shows.

Thanks Craig! I'll definitely go check that out. I believe my state's PPA also has a slideshow that plays. Guess I should pay more attention to those things huh?

If they could be viewed online, no one would ever buy the books.
    Yeah, I did kinda figure that. Just a few is all I mean. I think the link that Craig gave me as well as going back to my local website may give me a good idea of what merits.

I promise to pay attention at the short print critique discussion they will be having later this month. It's very inexpensive to submit a few images on disk to have reviewed. I had forgotten about that, but I definitely think that is something that would be perfect for me.
    Tracy, CPP