Framing Suggestions?

Hybrid View

Default Framing Suggestions?

Hey guys. I think I want to use this image (shot this week) for competition, but every attempt I've made to frame it into the 16X20 format it just looks boring. I want a dynamic framing, just not sure what will best suit the image. Any suggestions?

The title I have in mind is - Dangerous Curves Ahead

Your problem tends to be true when the proportions are already at 4:5 or close to it.

With your image, I'd frame it exactly as you've done here--make the framing proportion precisely 4:5 and enlarge it to 16x20 so that you have only the very narrow black frame that you show here.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

3. Default

I tried step mounting with a black, then a white and then a narrow yellow border. I liked it on all three colors.

I don't recall seeing in competition many bright yellow step mounts - make that any (and there's probably a reason for that!!!) - but the yellow one was my favorite.

Nice photo. Good luck
    Last edited by Stacey_West; 06-16-2007 at 05:57 AM.
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK

Great advice so far, thanks so much. So a yellow step mount or basically full frame should do best for this one? I hate that its dimensions are so restricted, but the shot is almost completely full frame - no real wiggle room.
    I will try again in the morning and post my result.

Default When I get back ...

Hi Cindi;

I'm leaving to do outdoor engagement portraits. When I get back I'll post my thoughts.

Default Thoughts ...

Hi Cindi;

I've never competed with any images quite like this one. My first suggestion is to get the subject layer much smaller. I would add an empty layer and add an accent line. Next, make it a Parallelogram. Then rotate the subject layer about the same angle.

As I said, I've never had an image like this in competition. Since the original image is a square composition you have to force it into a rectangle is some way or other. My idea may not fly but it may spark other ideas.

I did a mock up and hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by D._Craig_Flory; 06-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.

To me this isn't about complimentary colors, its all about impact of bright yellow. Keeping it yellow would be my choice, but I also like the parralellagram idea. That might lose a little impact, but really like the simplicity of the black border, maybe just a very thin yellow on the inside or middle of that black border would add some sophistication.
    Spencer Boerup, CPP
    Spencer Boerup Photography
    www.spencerboerup.com
    Tucson, AZ

This is a great image. I've been following this thread and I think that pulling a nearly black blue or violet out of the sole/heel for the border really gives it some additional pop, in my opinion.
    Keely Deuschle, Cr.Photog, CPP
    Orange Park, FL
    President, Jacksonville Professional Photographers Guild

Hey - Sorry I haven't replied more quickly. I have been reading the suggestions and tried several of them.

The paralellagram didn't work for me. As soon as I tilted the subject it lost its impact and looked much more abstract. In the end I went with a nearly full-frame image with a thin black seperator and yellow behind (only about 1/2 an inch). I ordered a studio sample like that. Once I see it full-size I'll decide if that's the way I want the comp. print to look.

As much as I love competing, I TOTALLY stress over prepping shots for competition. I really appreciate the feedback from you guys! Helps tons.

Cindi