Image idea ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image idea ...

Default Image idea ...

Hi group;

I am going to share an idea another photographer, and I, came up with for a competition image. I will trust everyone here not to steal the idea.

There would be a chopping block, with an double bladed axe embedded in it. There would be a body laying against the chopping block with blood dripping from it. (and a name tag that says print judge) And, diagonally off to the side would be where the head had rolled. Are you ready for the title ??? Ok, wait for it .... it's coming soon ...

Drum roll please: The title would be "Bad Scores".
    Or and alternate title could be "Too many 79's".

Disclaimer .... I have many friends who are print judges - and I have judged. This we came up with while having lunch after watching way too many images get between 77 & 79. The association had only half as many images get blue ribbons this year as did last year.
    Last edited by D._Craig_Flory; 04-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    The association had only half as many images get blue ribbons this year as did last year.
    Maybe that's not the fault of the judges - maybe that's the fault of the images.

Also -look at the number of new photographers. How many of those cases were first timers. Plus digital has now been around long enough that bad PS work is recognized and scored appropiately. Maybe you had only half as many 80's this year - well how many total prints compared to last year? If total numbers were down, then obviously there would be fewer merit images also. To just imply that the judges did a bad job because there were fewer merit scores is misleading. The suggestion of killing someone because you don't like the scores they gave is unprofessional, disrespectful and not funny IMO. It's one thing to joke about something like this around a dinner table. It's a whole different issue when you make a public post on an open forum. Frankly D. Craig - I find this post unlike you.

Perhaps a better title choice for this concept would be BAD PRINTS.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

I will trust everyone here not to steal the idea.
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say you're probably pretty safe on that score (NPI). I'm with Keith- the whole concept bothers me, especially presented in this medium. We in NH had a HUGE number of blues, and our panel was all affiliated jurors. I couldn't believe some of the gaudy numbers I saw. And there were some 60s, too. I don't think you're really blaming the numbers on the judges, but it sort of comes off that way with this sort of concept.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Craig,
    it has already been said, but I will add that maybe you don't know how little these folks are compensated to give us feedback. These judges are full time pros, making in most cases a grand a day in their studio, who travel, and are then paid less than $200 for two overnights, and a meal from the hotel. The low scores are our fault, not the judges. Last year I scord 1 blue, and 5 red. That is not thier fault, it was my weak images.
    Jeff
    edited to add-
    Craig, this does not seem at all like your normal posts. You have done nothing but offer kind suggestions, and offered your help to countless members here.
    Last edited by Jeff_Dachowski; 04-26-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Default It Was A Joke !!!

IT WAS A JOKE ... and had nothing at all to do with my images and scores !!! We were sitting at lunch and the idea just hit us. I added the blue ribbon totals at the bottom as an add-on that had nothing to do with our idea. Everyone has groused about scores at one time or another. Our idea, and my post, was a tongue in cheek, fun image for those who ever got scores lower than they expected. I am satisfied with my scores !

The idea came about after we were talking about an image from years ago. It was a hi-key of a chopping block and axe with a chicken looking at it and there was some matter on the floor behind the chicken. The title was "Oh Sh**". That got us to thinking. Every single person we shared this with cracked up.

Again ... it was meant as a joke.

A JOKE????

Well darn! What do I do with this???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lake Tahoe | San Francisco | Las Vegas | Worldwide
    www.michaelimus.com

Upcoming workshops - November 7 & 8 - Commonly Different presents Innovative Perspectives sponsored by Canon U.S.A., White House Custom Colour, Art Source, Jelly Fingers and more. www.commonlydifferent.com/newsletter/

Default Thanks

Hi Michael;

At least you got my joke and were preparing a joke image when I made my 2nd post. Thanks for adding to the levity.

D. Craig,
    I read this this morning and laughed my butt off. I think it's hilarious and if somebody takes offense to it then they are taking themselves way too seriously. At *every* competition that i've ever attended, someone always makes a joke about the judging all in good fun no matter what the scores or ribbon counts. A couple of years back, someone taped 5 $100 bills to a fake print and called it "90 or Above"... the judges cracked up. I thought the idea was a great JOKE and I completely understood it to be a joke. That's why I like haning with you PA guys at our conventions... you're all a breath of fresh air.
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

Default well....

"IT WAS A JOKE ... "

And a pretty funny one at that.....as the monk said, enlightenment means lighten up, dude....

Well shoot!

I was hoping to see it come about, I thing it would have "impact"

So since you where joking can we steal it