Quick Merit print question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick Merit print question

Hi - not like this is last minute or anything (I'm trying to beat the postman since I've come down with strep and don't want to go to the post office)...

I got an 80 on a print at state. I thought that it was supposed to have a seal of some sort on it, that I leave on to send to SEPPA. There's nothing on my print other than the ribbon. Is that what I'm supposed to leave on? I don't know what the rules are for this.

Thanks -

Liz
    (cough cough)
    Liz Vance, Cr. Photog, CPP
    oh baby photography
    bellies. babies. beautiful.
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them all end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity. - Robert Doisneau

Default Seals

Hi Liz;

You are thinking of regional seals. If an image scores 80+ at a regional it gets a seal on the back and just needs to be sent to national for a merit.

Ah. Now that makes sense. Thanks!

Although it may turn out to be moot. My business manager came over and we started working on taxes and totally lost track of time. I didn't get the case in the mail today, and I think it's the deadline (although shouldn't I be able to fed ex it overnight?) As long as it gets there on time, right? Hm.

Um... anyone from Northern Virginia or the DC area in general going to SEPPA? Want to carry an extra case? I'll include homemade chocolate chip cookies....

Liz
    oh baby photography
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them all end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity. - Robert Doisneau

Liz,

I am going but the judging starts Friday and I won't get there until early on Sat. You might want to double check, but I am fairly certain the deadline was today. I just didn't want you to get stuck FedEx-ing it and find out it still didn't get there in time.

Val

Thanks, Val -

I did check. Deadline for mailing was today. Oh well. I'm totally holding the pediatrician responsible for this. (I was FINE until I took my daughter in for a checkup on Friday!)

As Scarlett is fond of saying, tomorrow is another day!

Liz
    oh baby photography
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

Default Pa.

Hi Liz;

You could enter the Pennsylvania competition as an out of state non member... since you have your prints all ready. Our convention is the 22nd through the 25th. Print rules and convention newsletter are on-line to download at www.ppaofpa.org .

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory View Post
    Hi Liz;

You could enter the Pennsylvania competition as an out of state non member... since you have your prints all ready. Our convention is the 22nd through the 25th. Print rules and convention newsletter are on-line to download at www.ppaofpa.org .
    Now that's something I hadn't thought of! What a great idea! I checked out the newsletter - Mollie Isaacs and Pat Hansen are going to be there - they are really fantastic. Pat runs the print salon for VPPA. And there's a children's program on Monday that looks interesting (okay, really, it all looks interesting).

I've never actually shipped a case anywhere - I always carry it with me when I go to the convention. How is the return shipping covered? Is it part of the print case fee? Or are we supposed to include a pre-paid shipping label? (That was going to be my next question before I ran out of time yesterday.)
    oh baby photography
    www.ohbabyphoto.com

Default In the ...

Hi Liz;

In the print rules are the labels for the prints as well as labels for shipping and return. There is a fee to ship it back to you. Read through, and print, all the rules and labels.

We would love to have you attend our convention. (your kids would love to go visit Hershey, while here *S*)

I am about to post a few of my competition images. I have six being printed and will narrow down to the final four by next week. I had seven but after sending low-res 8x10s out to a lot of people I eliminated one. I was stuck in between so decided to have the other six printed and then decide under judging light intensity. I am posting to get title ideas now.

hi there! while 'lurking' here, i couldn't help but get inspired to join the ppa of pa and try my hand at print competition. can they process a new membership quick enough for me to enter? also, where can i view past entries/winners? i probably shouldn't let that influence me, but i've never competed before. thanks for any guidance. p.s. - i know for sure that my kids would love to visit hershey!

Default Welcome ...

Hi Vicki;

Welcome to PPAofPa ! I am the security chairman so between seeing the ribbon on my nametag (that shows that), and having seen my avatar photo, you should recognize me. Please come up and introduce yourself. I will be giving the certification exam in the morning and will be in the program once done.

Once you join, it takes 3 printings in the newsletter for you to be fully approved. So print competition this year would be out. However, please bring (lots of) images to the meeting. I and others will be happy to take a look and give you opinions and suggestions. You can sit in the judging room and watch the images get judged. And another day there is a print critique where Masters of Photography and Judges will explain why images scored as they did.

On the web site (www.ppaofpa.org) there is a button to click for a slide show of last year's blue ribboin images and winners.

Please e-mail floryphotog@mindspring.com OR call (717)838-9087 with anything else I can help you with. I hope to see you at the convention.