For competition critique
  1. Default For competition critique

I don't know ... 75-78 or so? Still working on others from the session. Been playin' around trying to make a pleasing composite of a couple images which I'll post when I get somewhere decent with it.

John,

This does not have enough light on the mask of the face

I like the composition but the lighting on the face is not right for
    Comp.

She kind of looks top heavy to me!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

4. Default

Good point Derek ... I think that is what is keeping me feeling like this image isn't anything more than average.

LOL Lori ... when she came to the door, I almost had to take a step back. I was like WOW ... ok, if that's what you want

Kicker is too hot & BG light is brighter behind her than it is in front.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    LOL Lori ... when she came to the door, I almost had to take a step back. I was like WOW ... ok, if that's what you want
    I understand that her hairstyle is over powering - but by using a higher camera angle, basically looking down at the top of her head you have emphasized it. But I think what Lori really meant is you have so much space below her hands but have cropped too tight on the top. Something also looks funny about the way her dress bunches up around her hips - it almost appears her hands are resting on a shelf created by her skirt. She is setting on something - but that's not blatantly obvious - so it looks like her skirt is just bunched up. Lastly - there is brighter light striking the back of her head and arms -as Dave said - then on her (more important) face. I would suggest you look for another image for print competition. If I was on the panel I would punch a 73 as this print appears here. I know this sounds harsh - but I have seen better from you in the past and this would be a step backwards.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

7. Default

Great feedback ... much appreciated. Not sure I was ever serious on this one for competition but really didn't know what I didn't like particularly. Now I have some good ideas why

How about this montage? This is essentially my first ever attempt at a composite blending multiple images together ... I know, it shows :-)

Last edited by JohnHeckler; 04-08-2007 at 04:41 AM.

Great feedback ... much appreciated. Not sure I was ever serious on this one for competition but really didn't know what I didn't like particularly. Now I have some good ideas why

How about this montage? This is essentially my first ever attempt at a composite blending multiple images together ... I know, it shows :-)
    Very sellable, but not a competition item.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cisco View Post
    Very sellable, but not a competition item.
    Yeah, I suck at these montage thingies ... I need to take a Dave Junion class or something ...

Yeah, I suck at these montage thingies ... I need to take a Dave Junion class or something ...
    You need to put yourself in a competition mindset. Lower your attachment to a given image or subject. Photograph it again or do something else. Just putting the same image in a montage does not reduce it's flaws.

Mike