Certification ...an important step to take ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Certification ...an important step to take ...

Certification is an important step everyone should take. I've been certified since 1986 and am the Certification Liason for Pennsylvania. I give the test up to four times a year. You can take the test with a state group that has an approved proctor like me. You can take it at the national convention or at a regional convention. If you are interested contact PPA and ask for the certification department. You will pay a fee and a test will be made up for you ... after they know what you do in your business ... it's based on your work.

Since you can't gain the Master of Photography degree without certification you should strive to gain C.P.P. status as soon as possible. Another thing that is important is that an average person can identify with a person being certified i.e. certified electrician. So your worth, in their eyes, goes up when you get certified. Don't wait ... call PPA now !!!

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // PPA Recon

P.S. ... if anyone is close enough, and and would like to take the test in Pennsylvania ... the next test month, with enough time for you to have a test prepared, will be in February 2006. You can read about our meeting dates for next year on our site : www.ppaofpa.org .
    Last edited by D._Craig_Flory; 09-21-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Default nicely said

Nicely said; and look for major information very soon.
    Brad

Hello,

I have great aspirations to become certified but do find the process scary. I have joined the PPA and have applied for membership at my local chapter where I hope to gain a mentor to help me toward my certification.

Any advice for studying for the written exam would be appreciated. I haven't taken a written exam in 20 years! I did pick up the recommended textbook.

Oh, my name is Deb Wat. Just started my photo business and am hoping to specialize in product photography and portraits.

Thanks

Deb

Default Gain knowledge from others ...

Hi Deb;

I'm in between clients ... and saw your reply. Joining PPA is good ... as is joining a local or state group. I've been a member of PPA of Pennsylvania since 1978 and gain a lot of knowledge from others in the group as well as the speakers we have . Talk to a number who are certified ... as well as the Masters and Craftsmen. The tests now are based on your studio & work. When I took it there were all kinds of questions and not always work you did. I passed ... without studying ... but I was an Air Force photographer using 4X5 speed graphics, view cameras, and developing B&W , color negative, and color transparency. So your background can be important. I'd also try to find one or more mentors. I am a C.P.P. and will get my Craftsman next January. I have a few friends who I consider my mentors. Talk to others who have recently taken the test and ask for their insight. Good luck;

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // floryphotog@mindspring.com

Great advice. Thank you. I am hoping to receive a lot of feedback in the local chapter once I am accepted.

What do you mean that the written is based on my studio?

Default Based on what you do ...

Hi Deb;

The test is based on what you do. For example, if you do approx. 25% kids portraits, 25% couples, and 50% weddings ... that would be a lot of what it is made up frrom. Please call PPA and ask for the certification department. They can tell you a lot more.

You are going the right direction ... joining the other group. Attend all the meetings and all the programs and seminars. Also, a lot of the time, I learn at meals. Sitting with other photographers, I always end up learning something just talking at lunch or dinner. So pick the brains of everyone you meet. And look for "danglies" around the necks. They can be for Master or Craftsman or other photography awards and degrees. Ask questions constantly. When attending programs take lots of notes and then type them up when you get back home.

So ... call PPA Certification today.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified // floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Cerification advice

I very resently completed and passed the certification test. Although I am a college grad it has been awhile since I have seriously studied for a major exam. After I had completely read the "Photography, 8th edition" by London and Upton I noticed on the back of the book in small print....."free online study resources for students". (go to www.prenhall.com/london) SO I checked it out two days before the exam. It was a complete online (free)testing and study resource center. I could take test questions in either multiple choice, true/flase, or fill in the blank. It would immediately grade the test and provide me with my score and correct/incorrect answers. Although the test questions are usually quite different from the PPA certification test question, I found it helped me remeber how to take a test and how importrant it is to read the questions carefully. It became invaluable to me! I believe this is a very valuable resource for anyone preparing to take the certification exam, especially if it has been awhile since you studied like a school kid. Best of luck!

Thank you so much. That is valuable info that I will definately take advantage of. Congrats on passing the exam! That is a major accomplishment.

Thanks again!

Deb

Allison....
    I looked at the link you provided about the "online" test. and came up drawing a "blank". could you provide a better link?
    Thanks...
    Robert J. MacDonald Photography
    "putting emotion in the emulsion."®
    Buhl, Idaho (208) 326-4568

Default Found it

Bob, I clicked the link and got to the site no problem. This may have been an issue with your ISP (believe me, it can happen... I've been unable to view several sites for short periods of time since Hurricane Katrina... and I live in Cincinnati!) but you may be able to get to it now. However, I did notice that the page is a "splash" page to four different study guides. The one we're looking for specifically can be found at 8th Edition Note that when you get to the page, there is a listing of chapters on top of the screen... click the appropriate chapter you are interested in and it will take you to relevant information... study guide/questions are in the nav-bar on the left once you've chosen your chapter.

Well, that was just a thank you, really. I found the information in this post valuable and wanted to give something back. Hope I've helped. I'll be joining my local chapter very soon... I live in the Northern Kentucky area (VERY close to Cincinnati, OH) Suggestions on whether to join OH or KY? And where can I find their contact information?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm going to apply for certification as soon as I get some other things straightened out (take a look at my other posts)