How did you do at HOA? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I used laminate instead of working the gloss spray and had great luck. Of course I have the luxury of overseeing all stages. Metallic is a different animal and needs a different chemical mix to get the blacks black. You had no time to get a reprint but I would expect any of our customers to send a print back they weren't happy with and give us the opportunity to make it right.

Keith, I was in the room that both Alcatraz and Don't Touch my Nuts were judged in. They both caused conversations, the squirrel one was mainly about the title..good job!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Keith these are all beautiful and deserving. I have one question, if you don't mind, would you tell us your process from shot to finish of Alcatraz? I love that scene and it is just beautiful.
    Thanks for posting these. Very inspirational.
    Ron

If you are at all familar with San Fran - you probably realize this was taken from Coit (sp?) Tower - through the thick safety glass. Obviously it was raining. I kept wiping down the glass to get rid of condensation. I used a Canon 5D - auto white balance - and a 28-135 IS lens @65mm, raw files. Exposure was 1/25 F5 400 ISO. After reviewing the images - I cropped this to eliminate Fisherman's wharf and position the horizon line and Alcatraz in a pleasing composition. I adjusted the levels for the brighter competition lights and to increase the drama of the natural light as the scene appeared. I added a little saturation - maybe about 10 points. I sharpened it in PS - remember I was photographing through thick glass and rain. I took out a couple small boats to the left, the big boat wakes coming into the wharf area and a few lights on the hillside across the bay - they were distractions. I burned in the clouds in the center brighter area - to avoid looking blown out. I dodged the buildings on Alcatraz and the white rocks to add detail. It took several tries to catch the blink of the light house - at a time when a raindrop wasn't hitting the window right in front of my lens. As far as presentation - just added a simple border of black - from the darkest spot in the print so it wouldn't be blacker than anything in the image. I stroked it with a lighter blue taken from the water I think. The stroke is 3 pixels - very subtle. The hardest part of this image was the title. I liked this print because of the story - I imagined an inmate looking out a window - contrasting the doom and gloom of a lifetime incarcerated on Alcatraz and seeing the unreachable light of freedom across the bay. But how to say that in a short title? I ended up just calling it Alcatraz and luckily two of the judges picked up on it. I knew I liked Micheal Timmons and Jon Allyn for a reason! Thanks guys!

As far as why I made the choices I did - I didn't think it through or reason it out. When you have been entering and judging as long as I have - some stuff you just do without thinking. I knew this was a competition image when I took it. I am sorry if that comes off as arrogant - I don't mean it that way - but just like you don't have to think about where each finger goes when you are typing - you get to a point where knowing what to do to an image for competition seems instinctual. That instinct crosses over into your every day client work - so competition does make you a better photographer. By the way the two portraits I entered this year are straight from client sessions. I wasn't planning on competition when I created either of them.

Here is the original image for you to compare.
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Keith,

Thank you so much for sharing; "Curtain Climber" is my personal favorite - so soft, and yet every detail there. I love it.

I actually got to see three of your prints being judged (but didn't know it at the time); I find the discussion judges have about prints to be highly instructive as well as very very motivating.

se

p.s. (smile) my san fran pic only got a 73....

Thanks Keith. I knew that had to be Coit tower. Been there many times and have slides in the archives taken through that same thick glass. I didn't have the good fortune to have the wonderful gloomy day you had that created this beautiful image.

Thanks again for sharing your comments on this.
    Ron

Keith, thanks for posting those - it's always nice when you post images - we don't get to see enough of your work!

You - arrogant? Don't worry - we all know you better than that!

Hey, curtain climber isn't from that madonna session I got see is it?

Congratulations, and thanks again for sharing!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

I just went back and read this whole thread - Sue Ellen and Linda - great images! Linda, i love how you presented the Lion - that looks great! And Sue Ellen, perfect title on "Sunday Morning"!!

Congrats to all three of you!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Clapp View Post
    Hey, curtain climber isn't from that madonna session I got see is it?
    Bingo!
    I forgot you were here for that session.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

9. Default

Great stuff Keith, thanks for sharing. I also very much enjoyed reading about how you created the one Alcatraz image. Your willingness to share like that is awesome and much appreciated, especially the level of details in which you were willing to take the time to remember and share here.

Great images and again, thanks for sharing all the details!