Questions about Nationals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Questions about Nationals

Hi all! I've been reading the other threads but didn't want to highjack with my question...
    After the New York State competition, I currently have in my case two merit prints (80,81) and two others (78,77). Now, would you send the case to national as is and see how those other prints score, or would you replace them something else? I know that the merit prints will automatically be accepted (correct?), but will the other two be judged again? Are the merit prints judged again?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, this is only my 3rd year entering - but my first with merit prints (yea!) and I'm confused how it all works. I've never seen the national judging....
    MaryAnn Talamo CPP
    Custom Digital Images
    Staten Island, NY

The prints with seals will only be reviewed for acceptence into Loan collection. If they "go loan" they earn two merits rather than one. the unsealed prints are judged again at national for acceptence into the IUSA show- merit prints only. The panel of judges DO NOT know if the print they are seeing has been previously judged and not scored 80 or above OR if it is a print the maker has never entered anywhere before. So there is no preconception that another panel already scored it lower than 80.

It's up to you whether to replace the prints or send them as is. A different panel may see them differently. Also at national - it is strictly a majority vote and not by average score - so sometimes it's actually easier if there was one judge or two with very low scores - it may have brought down your average below merit (80) when actually the majority on the panel felt it should merit.
    If I had a 79 - I would definately send it on . A 78 or 77 - depends on what else I had that I felt might be better. A 76 or below - I probably would consider replacing. But it's up to you! your print case entry costs the same even if you only send two prints - so if you don't have time or other options - stick those two non-sealed images in - even if they scored 73!

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn Talamo View Post
    After the New York State competition, I currently have in my case two merit prints (80,81) and two others (78,77). Now, would you send the case to national as is and see how those other prints score, or would you replace them something else? I know that the merit prints will automatically be accepted (correct?), but will the other two be judged again? Are the merit prints judged again?
    Oops! just read this again - was it your state competition? If so was it an affliate judging or non- affliate? The only time the 80 and above scores are automatic merits is if it is an affliate judging. Look on the back - if it has a seal with the Jury Chair's signature - that means it gets the merit as long as you send it on to national.
    Keith A. Howe

Hi MaryAnn
    Congrats on the Merits!!
    I'm not familiar with the New York State competition. If it is a regional judging then your merit prints will automatically receive merits at national and be re-judged for loan collection. So they might end up with two merits each! If it is not a regional competition then they will be rejudged at national to see if they get one merit each before the loan collection judging. As for your other two it's really up to you. If you think the first panel was pretty good then you should probably try something else. If you can't get a couple more together then go ahead and send what you've got. A different panel could feel differently about them. Even if your state judging was not a regional you should send the merit prints. The first panel may not have had the authority to give you a national merit but they've told you in essence (Send these to national!)

Thanks for the quick responses!
    Yes, ours is a regional competition. I have two corners for the merits prints - the state blue ribbon, and then a long yellow distinguished print ribbon. I'm assuming I sent the yellow ribbon with the print to national. (correct?)

The 77 has been judged twice - it got a 77 in an 8x10 competition, and then the 77 at state. I'm figuring what are the odds that it will automatically become an 80 at nationals...but I think I'm just going to send my case as is, and see how it does.
    MaryAnn Talamo CPP
    Custom Digital Images
    Staten Island, NY

[QUOTE=MaryAnn Talamo;70353]
    Yes, ours is a regional competition. I have two corners for the merits prints - the state blue ribbon, and then a long yellow distinguished print ribbon. I'm assuming I sent the yellow ribbon with the print to national. (correct?)

[QUOTE]
    No - do not send the ribbon. All that is needed is the seal on the back. Also - when you fill out the form for national - there will be a place to check if the print is already sealed.
    Keith A. Howe

Thanks Keith...I didn't even notice that seal on the back!
    I really didn't inspect them because I'm afraid to take them out of the case...I didn't want to handle them too much before nationals.
    MaryAnn Talamo CPP
    Custom Digital Images
    Staten Island, NY

Keith,
    If I have an image that merited and felt it needed to be reprinted, can I do that or must I send in the exact print from the regional?
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

Hey Dan
    From what I understand you must send the print with the seal on it. If you try to scrap it off and stick it on another one it won't count. If you think the print is strong enough to merit again without the seal then whats the harm of reprinting to give it a better chance at going loan? If it were me I'd keep the bird in hand instead of risking it for the two in the bush. But I'm a whimp.

Thanks David... I was just wondering about that.
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com