new to competition resend

Default new to competition resend

Here it is bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thoughts & suggestions ...

Hi Stacey;

I see an image with a background that is screaming for attention. You have the positioning in the lower right. I see it best in the upper left. Your accent line is a bit too wide & a color that is also trying to get attention.
    Here is how I see it ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks!

Wow! Thanks that really brings it out. I Guess I was trying to match the eye color with the green. Do you think it is strong enough to enter? I am going to enter my state Tennessee ppa.

I am mainly a wedding photographer, I have heard the wedding catagory is the hardest.

I like the composition, but the lighting is flat and I'm not a fan of the colorization. It might be a struggle to merit. That being said, taking the time to work this up for competition would undoubtedly be helpful. Entering the print and watching the competition would be hugely educational. Listening to the judges' comments, I find, is the most important part of comp. At least for me. I made it to last year's convention for only one day: print comp. I was so glad I did. I learned a ton. So by all means, work up a few images and go to the competition.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Mark summed it up well. To answer your other question, weddings, yes it is hard but I don't feel it is any harder than portraits. If you are mainly a wedding photographer enter some images from your weddings as well. Remember the print case fee to enter is the same for 1 image or 4 (some states allow even more images in a non affiliated judging). Working the images up and entering is some of the best education you can get. Go for it!
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Thanks again!

I will be asking for more critiques in the future. I really like the honesty in this forum. I may work up some wedding images and see what you think.

Keith are you judging at the International Print Competition?