2007 International Print Competition
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation 2007 International Print Competition

Rules for the 2007 PPA International Print Competition are now available for download at http://competitions.ppa.com. Along with the new rules this year, PPA has also moved to a paperless entry form. Beginning in April, competition entrants will be able to go online to complete their entry forms and pay their entry fees. The new electronic system is intended to speed up the entry process, reduce data entry errors and save money.

PPA members have until June 8 to submit their entries for this year's judging which will be held July 22-25, in Daytona Beach Florida. Late entries will be accepted with an additional fee until June 29.

Visit http://competitions.ppa.com for more information.
    Last edited by Gregory_Aide; 05-27-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Gregory Aide
    Production Manager

I have a question about the number and fees for entries. The rules state a maximum of four entries per entrant, and I see some of you guys talking about "filling your box". So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?

Hope this question makes sense, and if it has been asked and answered many times before I apologize in advance.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

3. Default Four Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Hobson View Post
    So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?
    The entry fee covers four entries. Good luck.
    Stacey West, CPP
    Loft Photography
    Ardmore, OK

Default Do you know ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Hobson View Post
    I have a question about the number and fees for entries. The rules state a maximum of four entries per entrant, and I see some of you guys talking about "filling your box". So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?

Hope this question makes sense, and if it has been asked and answered many times before I apologize in advance.

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    Hi Stephanie;

Now that your question about how many was answered ... did you know that it is required that you ship your images in a print case ?

Hi D. Craig... Yes, I had figured that out. I think I've read every word posted on this forum since I found it a couple of weeks ago. For instance, I've seen the picture of your ancient case. Seriously, I can't begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been to us.

So far we have only the one image we would consider sending, but since the only additional cost would be the printing we're going to see if we can come up with more.

Stephanie

It costs the same to send 1 or 4 (except for the actual print cost) so you might as well send 4. Ask for a critique (extra cost) and you'll learn a great deal about why your images got what they did.
    I had 3 to send a couple years ago and sent a 4th (case filler). PPA ended up hanging all 4! Unfortunately it was the year before they started the Photographer of the Year award...
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Default Can previously publish work be entered

Hi all,

I was wondering. Can work that has been previously been published or exhibited be entered into the competitiion?

Thanks,

Don Nealious

Default Previous ...

Hi Don;

I think the progression for most photographers is sub-state, state, regional, and then PPA competition. (a lot strictly compete in state first and then PPA) So the images do not have be images never competed with before.

In our state, sometimes I see the opposite. Photographers who competed at PPA will then enter some in state. I think the reason is that we have a state degree and if they got a merit at national they then hope to have it get an 80+ and go blue in Pennsylvania. When I served on print committee I saw images that had a merit at national, or which even went loan, only get in the 70s for whatever reason.

Hi craig,

The reason I ask is that we just got back from the WPPI convention in Las Vegas. I recognized quite a number of the winning images had been previously published in magazines. I can't remember if it was PP or Rangefinder or both. Yet the judging took place last weekend. It seems to me that sort of exposure could influence the judging.

Whereas the small municipality "juried" print competitions have the requirement that the images not have been previously published.

I am making sense to you?

Don Nealious

Default That's why ...

Hi Don;

That is why there are 5 panels of judges ... and extra judges standing by. If a judges knows, or thinks they know, the maker they recuse themselves and then an alternate steps in to judge that image. A case in point ... under commercial advertising or illustrative an image may have been created for a magazine advertising campaign. So of course it would have been in a magazine ... lots of them. Tear sheets accompaning the image show how it was used. Judges are supposed to alert the print master of a conflict.
    I hope this helps.