Understanding Kodak and Fuji Awards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Understanding Kodak and Fuji Awards

My regional competition stated that Fuji and Kodak both have new rules for their awards this year. I have read the rules and am wondering if anyone knows what the rules WERE. I was told that Kodak, you have to have some Kodak product w/ the image (i.e. paper) and apparently Fuji is also? The Fuji label has a certification on the label that a Fuji product was used in the creation of the image. Does this elimiate a lot of Canon photographers that print on Kodak paper?
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

It used to be that in order to get a Gallery award it had to be Kodak film and Kodak paper. Then with digital it was a Kodak camera and Kodak paper. I have heard that now it can be any camera or paper as long as one or the other is a Kodak product - but I don't know that for sure.

Fuji used to be no restrictions on camera, film or paper - but if you had used a Fuji product in the creation of the image - you also received a cash award. So much if it was either film or paper and more if it was both Fuji film and fuji paper. I have no idea what the new rules are for Fuji - other than I have heard that they raised the score to be eligible to 85 from the previous 80. Again - don't know that as fact - just as hearsay.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

It varies by state/region. This year in California, we needed to have some type of Fuji product in order to be eligible for the Masterpiece award in addition to a minimum of an 85. So yes, if your doing a canon/kodak combo then you will not be considered.

I think this is a good thing, it's a "Fuji" award afterall.

What does it say about Kodak on the form?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

It looks like Fuji has now changed their rules to reflect Kodak as well, so you must have printed on Fuji or created with a Fuji product. Yes, the print score has gone up to 85.

I wonder if the labs use Fuji machines?
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Those are the rules in Illinois as well, Marc.

Kodak appears to be the same as what I understood originally, some type of Kodak product must have been used in the creation or printing.

Also, Kodak and Fuji labels are to be attached to the back of the print as well, if you would like it considered. The little box on our main label doesn't cut it anymore I guess.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

― C. JoyBell C.

Kodak used to be a KODAK/KODAK thing whereas Fuji was an any brand/any brand thing. I was wondering when Fuji would get tired of giving their awards to Kodak's customers.

Considering how Kodak has restructured over the past five or six years I'm surprised they even sponsor the award anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Lottes View Post
    Considering how Kodak has restructured over the past five or six years I'm surprised they even sponsor the award anymore.
    I hope it doesnt go away any time soon and there's probably hundreds of those (i want one) crystal trophies and pins at some warehouse.

BTW, has anyone ever seen the black Gallery elite award? Keith you have one?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin View Post
    It varies by state/region. ?
    Marc - Kodak and Fuji set these rules. Each state or region can elect to present or not present these awards but they can't change the rules for their region.

Here's some history. Kodak started the Gallery awards. The very first ones ever given were at the Heart Of America region. A few years later Fuji comes along and basically copies what Kodak was doing - EXCEPT! They said that you didn't have to use Fuji products to win. At the time Fuji was not a very popular choice among photographers and if they had required Fuji products to be used - nobody would have qualified. I remember Fuji reps getting up at award banquets and really making a big deal out of how Fuji didn't require you to use their products - they just wanted to reward excellant work - pretty much just rubbing it in Kodak's face. So time went by and Fuji got more and more market share and they quit making such a big deal about it. So now we have Fuji deciding to make it a requirment that some Fuji product is used and Kodak doing away with the requirment to use Kodak products to be eligible. I think it's all pretty ironic.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A. Howe View Post
    So now we have Fuji deciding to make it a requirment that some Fuji product is used and Kodak doing away with the requirment to use Kodak products to be eligible. I think it's all pretty ironic.
    Keith
    "The slow one now
    Will later be fast
    As the present now
    Will later be past...
    And the first one now
    Will later be last" - Bobby Dylan

Don't have a Kodak Elite - but between Holly & I we do have ten of the Gallery awards. My friend dwight Okamoto from Hawaii has like 30 or more Gallery awards and several Gallery Elite. Just as a note of interest - 10 or 12 years ago one of my Gallery Awards got dropped and cracked. A that time they were made by Tiffany's and the cost to replace one was $250. I'd hate to think what they cost now.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe