prints returned from competition

Default prints returned from competition

Should I expect prints entered into competition to be returned in the same condition they were received? Three of mine were returned with surface scratches in the high gloss lamination finish and one with a matte luster coating. The scratches are easily seen in a lighted environment and some are deep enough to be felt with your fingernail. IMO, the prints are not salable; I would not accept prints in this condition from my lab. They were not damaged during shipment. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that should be expected? Will the scratches affect scoring if entered in another competition?

2. Default

Based on my limited experience with print competition, I would largly expect some of this to happen. The prints are handled quite a bit during the judging process, exhibition display setup and tear down, etc. Volunteers working these things take precautions and are very careful but it just happens.

Others might have different opinions ...

From PPA - 2 of mine had big scratches on them, one was ok and they kept one....

I am sure the print handlers try their best to be gentle with your prints, but..

When you sign the entry form you accept the risk/results of their handling/mishandling during the competition. If you just assume they will come back damaged/unusable then you won't be dissappointed.

I figure the comp print price/entry fees/ shipping as all part of the total "cost" of competition.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

I posted a similar thread when I got my prints back from PPC and was told, "these things happen." Mine was actually gouged right in the middle.
    It's to figured in the cost of competition I guess.

I had a few damaged over the 10-12 years I actively competed, but it wasn't every year..

I've worked on many print committees and, unfortunately, it's just one of those things that happens. Working on the print committee, you try so hard to be extra super careful with all of the prints, but they are handled SOOOO much that sometimes they are damaged. Unfortunately, it's part of the price of the game. On the prints with high-gloss lamination, it might be worth it to have them sprayed again to see if it will fill in the scratches (someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by John Throneburg View Post
    IMO, the prints are not salable; I would not accept prints in this condition from my lab. They were not damaged during shipment.
    Hi John,

Competition or Salon images are generally not intented to be sold unless your client has the same power spotlights in their house. Anyway's, expect that your entry is only good for that particular major competition.

Funny but on the WPPI form, it even asks you if you even want your prints back at all.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com