Scared, but here we go!

Default Scared, but here we go!

Okay, My first attempt at posting something for Critique. I have no idea what is worthy of competition, but I guess I have to start somewhere....

Did you miss me?
    Andrea Chapelo, CPP
    www.chapelophotography.com

Andrea,

Why are you scared. There isn't a person on these forums that says anything to be mean.

I LOVE the first image. A friend of mine and his wife are expecting in June and I just added a pose to what they are going to see.

The second image on my monitor is dark. I think she is to centered also.

That is all I feel qualified to say. Keep on posting.

Cheers,

"Because Memories Are For Generations"

Andrea, as I understand it, and I am just beginning to feel worthy of entering competition, the purpose of the shadow box area is to allow you to put the main interest of your image in one of the "Rule of Thirds" intersection points (in Photoshop, open an image, go to Edit/Preferences/Guides, Grids, and Slices. Under Grid, enter 33.3 percent with one subdivision, and hit OK. Back to your image, hit CTRl + '. You now have two horizontal and two vertical lines, spaced a third apart. Place your subject in the intersection point of one of the lines. Here is my version of your placement...

Art Wright CPP, Team Recon,

AJW Photo
    Professional Digital Photography
    www.AJWPhoto.com

Default First image

Hi Andrea;

I'm going to first address the baby image. I upped the contrast using an adjustment layer and levels.

I made the image layer smaller and put her on the 4th quadrant. I used a 1 pixel stroke for an accent line. I hope this gives you some direction to go.

Default 2nd image

Hi Andrea;

Ok, here is my version of your 2nd image. One major problem was the hi-key white dress, and bow, on a low-key outdoor location and background.

I made her dress and bow a pastel and changed the subject layer size and position so she is on the 2nd quadrant. I also took out the distracting light patches in the leaves. Finally, I enhanced the eyes catch lights.

I hope you are starting to see how to approach competition.

Art,
    Thanks for the tip in the placement grid...I knew there must be a way to do that, but I didn't know how

D. Craig, I like the adjusted contrast. I will play with this some more later.

So concentrating on the baby, do you think it is worth entering in a competition? I am partial, so I need honesty. She is my best friend's baby (of course she is now a terrible two ). She was 7 weeks premature, so I just see how happy we were to have her home with her parents.
    Did you miss me?
    Andrea Chapelo, CPP
    www.chapelophotography.com

Default You should ...

Hi Andrea;

I think you should enter it. In our state, all images with a score of 70+ hang in the print exhibit. Not only would feel happy and proud to see it on a print rack but can you imagine how they would feel seeing a digital of it on the rack ? And if you got a ribbon you will want to give a news release about your "awards". Even a red ribbon is impressive to clients and potential clients.

If you would like to send me an e-mail, I'll send you my composition grid, and lesson on how to use it. floryphotog@mindspring.com