This Moment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Moment

Default This Moment

One more... I got Holly's prior post about maternity being overdone now but... what about this one?

Default Wow !!!

Hi Valarie;

Now that I like ! I'm posting how I see it ... I lightened up his face. You did have the subject layer for them to be on the 4th quadrant nicely. However, this is one image where that doesn't work. On my version, I left my Bakker Saddle on top so you can see how they fit well in the "saddle'. And, my accent line is a tone from the jeans.

I would have liked seeing cool tone tops to go with the slacks but it works well because it brings the viewers eyes to the tummy and the faces.

3. Default

I'll try to comment with my limited experience but after watching judging for 2 solid days at MES ...

Things I like ... the lighting seems nice, directional. The subject is emotive. Judges are not supposed to compare prints, but it is human nature to do so and maternity is a common subject material for the professional photog, so keep that in mind. I think that just means it needs strong impact to grab the judges attention. That is where I cannot really say on this due to my lack of experience.

I think the white shirt being the brightest thing in the image will not help this. The man's braclet won't either. Not sure about the fact that she is wearing jeans ... kinda doesn't fit imho.

Disclaimer: I have approximately 48 hrs of experience watching print competition judging, so take my comments with a serious grain of salt :-)

Here it is... I forgot to take his bracelet off- I will do that in the next version. Do you think I should attempt to change the shirt color?

I was also thinking of printing this one on metallic- opinions?

And here it is with the bracelet removed and the shirt changed to a cooler blue grey.... I think I like it better cream colored... it seems to draw more attention this way- should I try and make it closer to slightly darker than skin tone maybe???

Here it is with the shirts closer to skin tone....

Val,
    I have about 72 hours of watching print judging, so I am far more experienced than John. Joking... joking... I actually pretty much agree with John on this one. I think I would've liked to see the couple on a light background with the clothing choices... it would've given the image a lighter, airier (is that a word?) feel. HOWEVER... it is my PERSONAL preference to photograph these types of sessions with dark clothing on a dark background in high contrast black and white. I think this image would benefit alot by turning it black and white... this image is well lit and wonderfully composed and by turning it black and white you are forcing the viewer to focus on the emotion and composition and less on color harmony. Granted, it doesn't do anything for the fact that the clothing is the brightest thing in the image, but hey, you can't win them all. Just my thoughts... I could be wrong.
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Harte View Post
    Here it is with the shirts closer to skin tone....
    I like this much better ... maybe try B&W with this version?

Not that you can do anything about this now, but maybe an alternative pose would be to have the man sitting a little more upright so we can see him a little more and it would also have the benefit of creating more of a pyramid composition? Just thinking out loud ...

Default Try this all the time ...

Hi Valerie;

I like the changes you made to the tops. Try this, from now on. Take your image and make a duplicate image. (not a dupe layer) Now turn the duplicate upside down and squint at it. What draws your eyes ? Now do the same with the two color versions.