Please Critique for Competition
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please Critique for Competition

I have so many from this session I really don't know which to post. I love this one because I know his moods....his depth of thought and feel I have captured it perfectly. I think the composition is good.....but as we all know - others do not see things through our eyes. Please help rule it in or out so I can move on to another choice.

Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Jane Ann

I don't know anything about competition, but my first thought...the reflection in the window of the railing bothers me a little because it goes right through the subject's head....but I DO like the thoughtfulness of his expression.

Emily - I wasn't sure about that either...at first I saw it as a positive - a strong leading line to the expression....then I wondered like you if it was nothing more than a distraction that could be retouched out maybe?

Definitely worth a try, but I'd see what a few others think I'm certainly not an expert!

Jane,
    Overall - I like it. I don't know enough about competition either to judge it one way or the other.

There may be a problem with both the railing and the reflection cutting his head. - not sure.

It seems like maybe the image itself should move a bit to the left so that his head is on the thirds line.

What will you title it? That could make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Ann Long View Post
    I have so many from this session I really don't know which to post. I love this one because I know his moods....his depth of thought and feel I have captured it perfectly. I think the composition is good.....but as we all know - others do not see things through our eyes. Please help rule it in or out so I can move on to another choice.

Thanks!

]
    Jane - I can see what you mean about capturing his mood. We know this is your son and we are sure it really speaks to you as his mom. While this is a terrific portrait to hang on the wall, We feel it will have a challenge getting a merit, mainly because of light direction. If you look at his arm you can see the light appears to be almost straight down. It also seems to be striking the back of his head and the top of his shoulders. To make this really sing for print competition, the light should come from 90 plus degrees camera left - rimmimg out his profile. Also - while this is a great crop for a portrait on the wall - it would probably score higher with more room around the image. It would also help a bit if the guitar was tipped so the neck created a diagonal line - mimicing the railing and leading to his face. As it is now - the neck is straight up and down and acts as a visual stopper - blocking you from reaching his face as you read into the print. If you love this image the most and want to go ahead with it I would suggest you burn in the railing and curtains and top of arm and shoulder- all of which are brighter than his face - so detract from his face as the center of interest. I would also suggest toning down the bricks. In effect creating a vignette. Be careful not to "keyhole" him. The gradient backer is interesting but not the best choice for competition as it takes attention away from his face. If there is more room on the original file and you aren't needing to crop to eliminate distractions - I would leave more of his environment around him. What makes the perfect portrait for mom's wall doesn't always make the right choice for competition so please don't think we don't like this print - cause we do. We just think it's not the right choice to enter.

Hey - We have done way too much commenting lately - Don Chick - Micheal Gan where are you guys?

Keith & Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Hey....thats what I need to know. I am going to put up a few more so please if you have time...I would love to hear your thoughts ... thanks Holly .

Default Conflicted ...

Hi Jane Ann;

I was conflicted on this image ... because of the railings. I normally like space, in front of the subject, to be sharp. But, on this image, they drew too much attention because of the flaked off paint. So I blurred them on my version. I also took out the one shadow and blurred the background. I moved the subject layer till her was on the 3rd quadrant ... it wasn't exactly there before. And, I changed the bkgrd. layer to a deeper brown.

Craig - you did a good job but I am throwing it out! Too many issues.

Default See Craig crying now ...

Hi Jane Ann;

Can you see me crying after you threw out the image ? *S*

I'd love to see "The Waiter" in a 20" X16" ! It is an impressionistic image with implied detail. Was there an artist that inspired you to approach it that way ? It definitely gives a feeling of raised up paint and three dimensionality.

Besides competition, I see that as a limited edition image. Matte and frame it and sell numbered copies signed by you.