What do I do?

Thread: What do I do?

Default What do I do?

I just received my images back from our state comp. Of the four that scored the highest, two are scratched. The higest scoring one is scratched right in the middle of the image and the other is scratched on the black area around the image. Do I get them reprinted? This was not a regional judging, so they are not sealed. If they were sealed, what about the big scratch right in the middle of the best one? So do I send them to regional with scratches or reprint? I actually hadn't intended to go to regionals, just directly to PPA.
    I had the Black felt inbetween each image and more on top to prevent movement.

Default Hmmm

Hi Auralee;

I have a friend who used to get 3 prints of each comp. image. The reason: one as a back-up if something happened to one and the other for when it went loan and they kept the print. One other reason is if a print is not back from a competition in time for the next one.

I'd get them re-printed.

What a bummer!
    Are the scratches into the emulsion or superficial? You may be able to have the prints stripped and re-sprayed if the scratches aren't too deep.

I will get two of them reprinted--the worst one is really a gouge. The other is superficial.
    This is the first year I had some of my comp prints printed on the fuji super high gloss. I think the ones that I had printed on regular paper and high gloss laminate put on, held up better. Although some of the lamination was lifting on the corners slightly. In my heart, I knew I would have to reprint them--just was facing reality.

Auralee,

You would have been sick at IUSA in San Antonio. Many of the prints were scratched. Many had various kinds of abrasions. It just goes with the territory. The "cost of doing business", if you will.
    Howard Barlow

No, really, I'm fine. I always look like this.

Auralee
    Print damage unfortunately happens, Print crews try to be carfull but there is a lot of things that can happen. I honestly believe that your prints should be sprayed or laminated unless they are printed on watercolor or art papers. During a judging, we (jurors) will ask the jury chair to wipe a print to eliminate dust or if it is an overlooked dust spot or flaw in the print quality. If it is print damage, the jury chairman will advise the panel to disregard the damage spot. We as jurors never consider damage a issue. I have found that the high gloss papers with out spray or laminate do seem more prone to scratching. Unless the scratches are really deep or in a prominate place I would probably not invest in reprinting. It has to be your call. I would not have scratched prints sprayed or laminated over the scratch as then the Jury chairman can not tell that it is print damage.
    JMO Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Thanks Keith,
    I'm over it now and am going to reprint. Thank you for your opinion--it's always appreciated. I was advised by the lab NOT to put anything over the Fuji Supergloss. The gouge is smack dab in the middle of the image, and is hugely distracting. So I'm looking at it as a positive--when I receive my critique CD, I can make the suggested improvements, although it already did merit at State.
    Thanks again everybody.

Hey Auralee,

The Fuji super gloss is almost a one time use thing. Sometimes, even lint from cheap gloves stick to it.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Default I would never not put anything over ...

Hi Auralee;

I would never NOT put anything over my competition prints. This reminds me of a senior I photographed in the mid-90s. The older brother had his senior portraits done by another studio. The Mom wanted me to frame both 11"X14's (re-framing the 1st brother's print). The older boy's framing was done without glass and the studio had told them it didn't need any glass. The family smoked and the print was yellow brown and awful. I tell all my clients that wall portraits need non-glare glass. I say that the glass protects the image and can easily be cleaned with windex. And I tell them that if a print is framed without glass, and wiped, the surface of the print can easily get scratched. So for a lab to tell customers that is terrible !!!

Craig I, the lab comment was ONLY for the Fuji Supergloss used on their special competition prints. I always have some method of protection added to my prints.
    Auralee