Print Submissions for MES Competition - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy Finn View Post
    John Heckler & John Knowles, thanks for saying hi! It was nice to meet some ourppa members in person (Craig....no Penn. people that I remember specifically!)
    Hey Betsy, it was great to meet you as well and congrats on an excellent showing, especially for the first time!

Betsy,

Nice to meet you too, and congrats on the images!
    John Knowles, CPP
    Times to Remember Photography
    www.ttrphoto.com

Betsy,
    I looked for you up there all weekend... where were you hiding? Congrats on your images. John H too... I was really tickled that "Family Resemblance" went blue. I thought that was a cute image.
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Leary View Post
    Betsy,
    I looked for you up there all weekend... where were you hiding? Congrats on your images. John H too... I was really tickled that "Family Resemblance" went blue. I thought that was a cute image.
    Hey Dan ... did I meet you? The whole conference was a blur at this point.

Yeah, to be honest, I was surprised that Family Resemblance ended up with a merit, especially how the judging was going at the time it turned.

Did you enter prints as well?

John,
    I think I posted once before how much I liked that print. I wasn't surprised at all that it went blue, but I was happy because it was different! It just had that impact to me... I was glad the judges felt the same. I think at the end of the day, it all comes down to images that stick with us long after we initially see them. That one sticks with a viewer.

Unfortunately, we didn't meet... I was hoping to meet you, Betsy and a few others but I think the weekend was a blur for all of us. I was checking name tags at the print exhibition but I didn't see anyone I recognized. Maybe next time.

I did enter prints. I went 4 for 4. I was expecting maybe 2/4 so I was tickled. My mentor went with me and I think he was more excited than I was! Honestly though, the highlight was seeing Beth get a perfect score and winning Photographer of the Year. I just can't speak highly enough of this lady. Her photographic skill is only second to her personality. Just a great person. If you ever get a chance to see her speak, do it. She epitomizes all that is good about our state association.

Overall, I had a great time... but I sure was glad to get home! Missed my baby!
    Dan Leary, CPP

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reconsider - Mark Twain

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Leary View Post
    I did enter prints. I went 4 for 4. I was expecting maybe 2/4 so I was tickled.
    Excellent Dan! That is awesome dude! Did you post the images here? I went to the judging all day Thurs and Fri and spent plenty of time in the print exhibition studying all of the images, so I know I at least saw them.

Yeah, Beth Forester is an amazing photog. I was really impressed with her 100 and was there while it was being judged. Everyone applauded and then they had to take a 10 minute break via the rules :-) It really was an amazing portrait. It was also done the year before (maybe not the exact same frame, but VERY close) and scored an 83. Obviously she improved it for the B&W that went 100 :-)

I ended up 3 of 4 blues, received the Fuji Master Peice award for the wedding category and Court of Honor for the Family Resemblance, so needless to say, I have been on cloud nine since. :-)

Will you post your images here if you haven't already or point me to the link if you already have? I want to see them. :-)

John,
    Sure thing! If you know what they said about any of these, please share! The only one I got to hear was the blonde girl. I knew I got 3/4 on Friday, but I enetered one that noone had seen before so they weren't looking for it. I had to wait until Saturday morning and go find it...

Renaissance Man-Scored 81.... on the original version of this I had a fiery background. It scored the same at state, but I won a Gallery Award for this at state. I just thought the black background looked better with the other changes they suggested.

Fire and Ice-Scored an 80

Invincible-Scored an 80 ... this was one I had printed, but didn't enter at state. I just put it in my case because I wanted four prints. This was NOT a good print from WHCC.

Even Blondes Get The Blues-Scored an 85... real proud of this one.

As an aside, I won't be using WHCC for competition anymore... they don't correct density and they don't view the images under competition lighting. Also, the blacks look very VERY muddy. I truly think Invinvible and Blondes could've went a point or two higher with a better print job. I'm not upset with WHCC, but I just don't think they're the best for the job. This after four blues... but I plan on stepping it up a knotch next year.
    Dan Leary, CPP

www.learyweddings.com
    www.dmaxphotography.com

8. Default

Those are great images Dan ... loads of creativity. I remember them all and even some of the judges comments ... I am putting the kids down and will come back to this and tell you what I remember them saying in a few ...

9. Default

Ok, here is what I remember ...

BTW, there were 2 judging rooms set up. They were side by side so you could kinda hear titles read in either room, especially if you were out in the hall by the entrance. This was a bummer for all the folks trying to wait until their prints turned as they kinda had to stand out in the hall an look into both rooms until their prints turned and then go in a listen to the judges. But what are ya gonna do. So, I didn't see some prints, but since I was volunteering, I was able to slide back and forth through a side door between the rooms to see as much as I could. Obvioulsy, I was mainly trying to hear my titles, but I did end up seeing Renaissance Man and Even Blondes Get the Blues.

Ok, so, from what I remember, Renaissance Man (which was somewhat a popluar title as I think I remember it on more than one print) was challenged and the judges did discuss it.

A side note: and some obviously already know this, but the judges don't really comment on prints unless they are challenged, so it is possible for a print to turn, get scored, and rotate off without any comments from the judges.

So, back to Renaissance Man ... it was challenged, and I can't remember it's initial score (ie whether it was a merit or not, but I think it may have received a 79 at first). Basically, the judges didn't get it at first, or at least some of them didn't. As they discussed it, they realized the digital to film play and thought it was clever and that is probably what got it over. I can't remember what one judge complained about, but after they discussed it and re-scored, it landed at an 81. Maybe someone else will remember more. There was probably some 1200 prints, so it's hard to remember all the details :-)

As for "Even Blondes Get the Blues", it got a little chuckle as the title was read, was scored and I think made a merit score right off, but was challenged immediately as one of them wanted to see it go to the excellent range. They all commented (forget most of those details, but one said she didn't look like she was actually playing the instrument, and another basically said so what), it was re-scored and plained out at an 85, a very nice score :-)

I *think* I saw Invisible, but am not for sure. If I did, then it turned, was scored, and move on. Or maybe I am remembering another one ...

10. Default

BTW, I am not sure I will use WHCC anymore for comp prints either. This is again, not really a slam on WHCC because I like them alot, but not for comp prints. They have a very affordable comp print price, but their comp print service and attention to details leaves a bit to be desired in my humble opinion.

I talked to them at their booth about it at the tradeshow and they said they would go back and discuss it. I talked about my specific issues I had with them and they kinda said (more or less) what do you expect for $27 a comp print. I said yeah, fine, I am willing to pay more for a better print and better service and suggested they offer two price points for comp prints and let the consumer decide. If they are going to be serious about printing comp prints, they need to do things like set up lights, offer custom adjustments, etc.

To their credit, they said they definitely want folks to do well in print comp and would look into it.
    Last edited by JohnHeckler; 03-06-2007 at 01:00 AM.