"The Defeat" (or similar title)

Default "The Defeat" (or similar title)

any thoughts on the impact of this image......

It is not tweaked for comp, only done really quickly to get a feel for it and determine if it is worth going ahead on.....

Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Jackie,
    I love the coloring on this image. As you know, I'm not one to tell you yay or nay on comp - but I do like it! I just covered a wrestling tournament this weekend.
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

One more thing - he looks like maybe the bench he is sitting on is too high - he is leaning over funny.
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Default well....

"any thoughts on the impact of this image......"

Ok, this is part photog and part former hs wrestling coach.....take the head gear off, it's not something he'd have on unless he was on the mat. Defeat would be more head in hands....I agree, the bench is too high, which creates a bad angle for his legs. The background also doesn't work, too distracting. You do some beautiful work... I'd be surprised if this one hung.

Sigh.....

okay, Stan. Thanks for the opinion..... and just for you.... here it is.

Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Jackie,

As a former high school wrestler who lost a LOT my freshman and sophmore years I think you captured what I was feeling when I came off of the mat after a loss. I don't know about competition but the emotion is there!

Great Job!

Cheers,

"Because Memories Are For Generations"

Ah, last time I did wresting, the guys came off the matt looking kinda sweaty...
    Donnie Eisenhart

Don Eisenhart Photography
    Would list my web site, but it really needs work...

Sarcasim in green for clarity!

Default well....

"Sigh.....

okay, Stan. Thanks for the opinion..... and just for you.... here it is."

I just love it when you sigh.....much better. I'm not sure the expression is there....and if you ever get the chance to work with this guy again, do the session in the locker room. I'm not sure the muslin helps the mood. A little more directional lighting might help, maybe coming from the side.

"Ah, last time I did wresting, the guys came off the matt looking kinda sweaty..."

Don, there is no tougher sport. Anyone that makes it through a season has something to be proud of.

OK Jackie you ask for my 2 cents worth so here goes...

I agree with what has been said. Background doesn't go with the story, bench is too high making the body look too hunched over. The GOOD news is this has nice lighting on the face though it could use a stronger ratio. The second image is better (body wise) on the floor though you lose a bit on the light and the expression is not as good. Considering you posted this for competition - IMO they will not go very far but you won't be embarassed, say 76, 77.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Lawrence View Post
    "Sigh.....

okay, Stan. Thanks for the opinion..... and just for you.... here it is."

I just love it when you sigh.....much better. I'm not sure the expression is there....and if you ever get the chance to work with this guy again, do the session in the locker room. I'm not sure the muslin helps the mood. A little more directional lighting might help, maybe coming from the side.

"Ah, last time I did wresting, the guys came off the matt looking kinda sweaty..."

Don, there is no tougher sport. Anyone that makes it through a season has something to be proud of.
    Stan and Jackie,

This gives me an idea...

If Jackie where to cropping in on the same pose, around his face, with the right arm leading in, and his hair all matted with sweat, and this face all sweaty, would that be a more fitting image? Also, maybe with the head gear...
    Donnie Eisenhart

Don Eisenhart Photography
    Would list my web site, but it really needs work...

Sarcasim in green for clarity!