Exams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exams

Default Exams

Hi everyone!

I am really thinking about trying to get certified. I just don't understand the exam process. Do you have to travel to where the exams are being given, or is there somewhere nearby you can take it?

Default Look for ...

Hi Jennifer;

The exams are given by PPA C.P.P. Liaisons. Each state has one, or more. You can either contact the liaison(s) for your state or travel to a nearby state. Please contact me if you have any other questions. I've attached the liaison list.
    Attached Files Attached Files

There is usually someplace within a reasonable driving distance where the test is being given. You may have to wait a few months, depending on when you want to take it. Now is a relatively good time, as there are lots of local affiliates having their conventions over the next few months, and the tests are often proctored during the conventions. I'll be taking the test at our (NH) convention in April.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thank you both very much! I wondered if the Liaison's gave tests. Thanks again!

Default What about Wyoming

Craig - if Wyoming is not on the list, does that mean there is not a liason in Wyoming? So I would go to NE, CO, or UT?
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

I've noticed that the list is not current. I will write to David Milthofer to get that corrected.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I haven't viewed the list since I took the exam last fall. But when I was looking for when and where to take the exam, there was nothing recent in my area. I sent emails to the only California liason listed at the time (not you Michael Gan) and the only Nevada one listed (I'm right on the border) and neither was testing any time soon. I ended up traveling to PA and took the test with Craig Flory. For me, it worked. I love to travel, and Craig has always been a source of great support for me on this forum, so it was really a no brainer. Also, all that travel time gave me the opportunity to review away from the ringing phone and all the stuff that goes on at home.

You can go to www.ppa.com, click on photographers, then certification, and roam around in there for lots of information. I don't know if the liason list is current, but the sample exam questions and the recommended book list and all the other information they have is great.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

Default cpp liason close to WY

Hey Lori- I don't know if Wy has a current liason or not but you are more than welcome to hop on over to Utah to take the exam. I am the liason for Utah and will be administering the test at our Intermountain PPA convention in October 2007 in Salt Lake City. If you need any info about the program let me know and I would be happy to help. In my state, I actually start encouraging those interested in becoming certified to work on a timeline to be preparred by October because sometimes it can seem overwhelming to do everything at once. For example, I try to just get people to fill out the application by the end of March. Then I encourage them to submit their images by the summer deadline so they can spend the last part of the year studying for the test. I think it helps to just break the process down into small manageable steps. (Of course, it's not really that hard to complete, I think somepeople get overwhelmed by the concept.) After following this roadmap for 1 year, I think it helped those who were serious about completing the program.)
    I am also sure Colorado will offer the test earlier in the year if you want to drop down there.
    Best of luck and let me know if I can help you out.

Default Once a year ?

Hi Allison;

So you only give it once a year ? I give it at each of out four state meetings here in Pennsylvania.

Default cpp

I have been CPP for a year in Utah.... before that, cpp education was not exactly thriving. So at this point in time the demand does not warrant the need to offer the test 4 times a year. If and when the demand grows I will change that schedule. But my point is to be consistant and reliable and to educate others about the program. For years that didn't happen! Now people can prepare for the test knowing it will be offered at least once a year at the convention. If I had a special need to offer it at another time of year, I would do it on an as needed basis. I respect that PA has huge numbers of people working on certifying, Utah is in a completely different "state". (HAHAHA pun intended) Actually educating photographers on the need and desire for cetification is still a huge project in this area. I would rather offer the test 1-2 times a year and spend more time educating my community. Just the way we are doing things here now, I'm sure down the road that will change too.