For Anyone Interested In A Study Group For Cpp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default For Anyone Interested In A Study Group For Cpp

If you are interested in being a part of the study group for CPP, please do two things:

1. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4613 Read this thread, Thank Betsy for setting it up and then sign up at the site.

2. Meet in the chat room at 1:00 pm Pacific time on Sunday, February 18th.

Please pass it on to everyone you know is interested.

Just a Reminder.

See you tomorrow, Lori.

I can't wait! I got my book (thanks Karen L.!!) and I've read the first 4 chapters and have already learned a lot! Even if I don't pass the exam, I know I will be better off for having read this book!

See you guys tomorrow - if I can just figure the time out correctly!!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

Default Lots of time on her hands ...

Hi Lori;

One advantage to living where winter hits hard is lots of time to read and study. Those living in warm spots have the big disadvantage of being able to easily travel. All of the interstates here were totally shut down from Thursday till Saturday. So living in Wyoming has the advantage of big open areas between towns with absolutely nothing in between ... and nothing to travel to see or do. I'm sure you will read that book from cover to cover in no time at all ... there is nothing else to do around there.

When you are ready to take the exam, let me know. I already had a photographer, from the Forum, travel here to Pennsylvania to take it from me. So why not come to Pennsylvania to take it ? Jeff Dachowski came down from New Hampshire for our two day meeting and programs last weekend. I'm hoping more will travel here this year.

All kidding aside, you will do just fine. Heck, I gave the exam to a Kodak rep one year and he almost aced it. I gave it to the Fuji rep a few years ago and he had the 5th highest score in the country ! I'm sure you can score better than film reps !!!

That was me that traveled to PA to take the exam! I've always been willing to think outside the box but this one seemed a no brainer to me. Craig was here on the forum, offering help and support everytime I posted, and the liasons at the time in Ca and Nv were not helpful at all (it wasn't Michael Gan). I enjoyed my trip immensely, and passed the exam on the first try!

I did not however pass the image review. It seems there is a dichotomy between the directions for image certification submission and what the folks doing the reviewing are really looking for. I have been told more than once that I must "play the game" in order to have my images pass the certification review. The game being: translate what they say in the directions to what they really want, without any clues. And I am told that what they reallly want more approximates what you would submit for print competition (although not exactly) than what you would give to a client. Which means, just to use one example, instead of perfectly centered images for clients, crop using rule of thirds.

I called the certification person at PPA, she denied there was a dichotomy between the directions and what the reviewing folks really wanted, but the proof is in the pudding. So when you plan your image submission, be sure to take this into account. Do not submit images as you would prepare them for a client, because you won't pass. Submit them prepared as if for print competion and you will do just fine.
    Last edited by Karen_Linsley; 02-23-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Karen Linsley, Cr.Photog., CPP
    www.imageangels.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#/ImageAngel...graphyServices
    Now Blogging! http://imageangels.com/blog/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/imageangel

Hi Karen, I commend you for having the courage to post the results on the forum. One thing that I may be wrong on, but I would think the images just had to be created for a client, not necessarily the ones they chose. And I so know what you mean about the client selections being way different than the ones you would consider the best shots. They seem to want to be in the middle of the image, grinning big, with the scenery/golf course/park/ in the background at high noon on a sunny day.
    I know from reading some of your posts here and I know you have a strong spirit and will overcome the frustration of this and move forward.

Karen, I also want to thank you for posting here - it's nice to be prepared ahead of time. I'm sure you wil make a lot of us question the images we pick before we send them in. So, while it's no help to you, yet (I'm sure someone will help you understand what they are looking for, I can't do that!), it's a huge help to us who are just starting the process.

And by the way - thank you for the books!!
    Lori Clapp
    www.amomentintime2.com
    Will I EVER know how to use what I learn?

them away!!
    Last edited by DianeDavis; 04-02-2007 at 05:41 AM.

to know it.
    Last edited by DianeDavis; 04-02-2007 at 05:41 AM.

I missed this post. But I also don't have a book yet. I decided to wait for Photography 9.
    Tracy, CPP
    Recording Secretary, VPPA State Board of Directors
    2015 VPPA Convention Chairman
    VPPA Tidewater District Treasurer