Advantages of being a CPP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Advantages of being a CPP

So, still brand new here, but learning a whole ton in the past week!! Thanks everyone for their help!

Been doing some searching around and stumbled on the CPP forums and have been reading about it. I still don't see what the advantages would be or exactly what it is! Can anyone clarify this? And how would I become one?

Please help!

The main advantages will be what you learn by going through the process.

Will it mean much to have the CPP behind your name when you market yourself, that is the question right?

I myself feel that your images speak more about your being a good photographer then three letters.

Now it is step one on your way to Master or Craftsman level in the PPA, I think it's the first required step but I don't know.

I earned 7 merits some 30 years ago but didn't go any further at the time.
    Craig Willes

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Willes View Post
    The main advantages will be what you learn by going through the process.

BINGO

CPP is no longer tied to the degree programs so if that's your only motivation you can skip it.

Here is a link to a previous thread describing ways to raise awareness of your certification.

http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3275

Here is a link to the steps for becoming certified.

http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a...x.cfm?pageid=1

Some might find it a useless exercise. Use your own judgement. I'm very proud of my certification and would be happy to tell you more privately. Just send me a personal message if you have any questions for me about the program.

I guess that really is the question..is there really any reason one should become a CPP? I agree with you, I think that the pictures a photographer takes speaks for themselves. The only advantage that I could come up with is the learning process. I mean, I'll be honest, I actually know very little about taking pictures. However, the goal is to be able to learn and know what to expect every time I hit the shutter. At least to some point.

I think you just answered your question.

If you had CPP behind your name right now, would those three letters have made you a great photographer all of a sudden, of course not, but what you learn and apply, and if going through the process to help you with learning is just a step to help you become the photographer you desire to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHarms View Post
    I guess that really is the question..is there really any reason one should become a CPP? I agree with you, I think that the pictures a photographer takes speaks for themselves. The only advantage that I could come up with is the learning process. I mean, I'll be honest, I actually know very little about taking pictures. However, the goal is to be able to learn and know what to expect every time I hit the shutter. At least to some point.
    Craig Willes

Michael,

I have booked a couple of weddings because I was certified. The public may not know about certification but they do know it must mean something. One client did tell me it was the deciding factor between myself and another photographer.
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

I agree about what I am going to learn in the process. In addition to the classes I've taken and the books I've memorized.

Another reason, in my opinion, to do this is because I think it shows a pride in what you do and a desire to grow. Maybe it's because I'm coming from being a boss in the corporate world, but I base someones work ethic on how commited they are to mastering what they do, not just getting by with what they know. So in summary, knowledge, pride and commitment are my reasons LOL!

I think that the pictures a photographer takes speaks for themselves.
    the goal is to be able to learn and know what to expect every time I hit the shutter
    Those are both good statements looked at together. A good photograph does speak well. However, even someone blindfoled in a dark room will get a penny in the bucket now and then if they know the general direction of the goal. It's also kind of like pitching in baseball. It's about consistency. Sure, you might throw a strike now and then, but you have to know exactly what you did to do it consistently everytime. Same with pictures. Sure, you can have little technical knowledge and get a great image now and then. But you have to have a good technical knowledge to know what you purposely did everytime to capture that image in order to be able to confidently do that everytime, rather than leaving it to the penny in the bucket. Wouldn't rather do it with the lights on and your eyes wide open looking at the bucket?

Sorry if I'm a bit odd in my analogies today, I'm on my 4th cup of coffee after three unconsecutive hours of sleep.

Probably why your eye's are closed

Ok, I'm going to change all of your mindsets for just a moment. Instead of thinking locally (me, me, me) , let's look at this on a more global scale: the profession.

Through my years as a practicing professional, I'm pretty tired of the public's perception of professional photographers. Part of the problem is in the profession itself. Anybody can pick up a camera and call themselves photographers.

IMO, I've seen a lot of bad stuff out there masked with photoshop. There is a dwindling of photographers who know the basic skills and are bastardizing (sorry, but I can't think of a cleaner word) their work by calling it "photojournalistic" style - not because it is the style, but because those photographers cannot classify it in any other way. This is NOT fair to the Photojournalist, and in a way further erodes the profession.

So, I'm a CPP more for the betterment of the profession. For me, it's one of the my ways of giving back to this profession that has helped me make a living for nearly 30 years. Without giving the Kennedy speech, if more photographers would get on board a single mindset once in a while, perhaps the industry, as a whole, would survive on much more than $35,000 a year average (taken from the PPA Studio survey).
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I never expected anything more from my CPP than what I would learn in the process...and the self-satisfaction of achievement. I'm glad I went there.