Marc's turn, for nationals this is 1/4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marc's turn, for nationals this is 1/4

Beginners Pointe

I'm just looking for a quick 80/thumbs up... Any views?
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Marc, Nice image. Can you soften the cord in her neck and tone down the kicker on the back of her neck? Its kinda hard to tell here, as it is I think I'm down but it is close. I'm also questioning placement of the image. As it is the image is on the right third line but her face is in the center top to bottom.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Marc I am going to point out a few things here for others to take note of.
    First is the placement of her head against the piller sets her face off with out any lines intersecting the head.
    Next is the lighting, note the main light is coming into the plane of her face giving deminsion to her. Think what it would look like if the main lighting was coming from or near to camera (flat lighting). That would make her heavier and more boreing to look at. Look at the kicker light or reflector that is adding detail to the back of her hair and neck, with out it we would lose detail in the hair and in some cases lose seperation from the background in this area. Sorry for turning this into a lecture on lighting but I thought some of the newer members may not understand the difference.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

4. Default

Hi Marc,

I really like this image. I do wonder about the placement in the matte as well and I think I see some cloning around and right above the little girl's head on the column? My eyes keep tracking to that for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    Hi Marc,

I really like this image. I do wonder about the placement in the matte as well and I think I see some cloning around and right above the little girl's head on the column? My eyes keep tracking to that for some reason.
    Good eyes
    ...the old Ctl-alt-J, move, and erase.

To add something to the discussion, I believe all the technical bases are covered, but I don't know if this particular subject is strong enough to carry the image.
    Last edited by Dave_Cisco; 02-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.

John,

Ahhh, that was just sloppy burning and for some reason it got very noticable on the down rez! I'll clean it up for the final.

Dave,

Is that it? I want more out of you!

Keith,

Should I go smaller to force her head on the bottom right point or bigger to force it on the upper right? I kindda want to go smaller since 1.The image might not hold up that big 2. Isnt it more natural if kids had room to grow?
    marcbenjamin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Benjamin View Post
    John,

Ahhh, that was just sloppy burning and for some reason it got very noticable on the down rez! I'll clean it up for the final.

Dave,

Is that it? I want more out of you!

Keith,

Should I go smaller to force her head on the bottom right point or bigger to force it on the upper right? I kindda want to go smaller since 1.The image might not hold up that big 2. Isnt it more natural if kids had room to grow?
    It will probably get more powerful as you take her down in size...assuming, of course, that you have the extra background on the file.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cisco View Post
    It will probably get more powerful as you take her down in size...assuming, of course, that you have the extra background on the file.
    I was thinking that as well ... especially if you have more foreground as it almost looks like she has some reflection in the floor. That would place her head more in the upper third as well ... all of which depends on what you have to work with in the original frame of course.

I'd like to see her smaller but the columns extended all the way to the top of the board - long vertical slimline in other words.
    Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Howe View Post
    I'd like to see her smaller but the columns extended all the way to the top of the board - long vertical slimline in other words.
    Holly
    Edge to edge slim jim?
    marcbenjamin.com