Understanding Merits

Red face Understanding Merits

I'm a CPP but am a bit confused about earning education merits. Are merits recorded at PPA or am I responsible for keeping documentation? I found a 5 year certification form in my files and it looks like I can earn 2 merits for attending a convention, 1 for a day long seminar and 5 for a week long affiliated school. Is this correct? I recently received an email about a week long program but when I asked, I was told the class would only earn me 2 merits. Can anyone help me understand how merits are earned, how many are earned per opportunity and finally, how I submit them for the record? Thanks so much...

Hey Clif,

Service (used to be called education and is the same) merits are/should be automatically recorded by PPA. We earn these by attending a ppa convention, affiliated workshop or school, be a ppa Volunteer, write an article or get an image published on PPmag, be a liason, affiliate webmaster and/or editor, council chairman, ourppa.com moderator and many more. The organizers are supposed to submit your name along with your ID number so the merits can be recorded.

The piece of paper that you may get is just a keepsake certificate. If the merit did not show up, you should first contact the organizers and have them send a notice to PPA.

Next would be the speaker/teaching merits. These are earned by speaking at national and state/regionals
    conventions, for super mondays, speciality conferences (now called MMM) and local affiliate workshops. The ones that are put on by PPA specifically (nationals, super mondays, MMM) should be automatically listed.

You get a certificate from workshops and local conventions put on by state and local affiliates. These have a tear away slips that you should send in to ppa so that the speaking merit gets recorded under your name. I think the reason for this is beacuse those certificates are sent to the affiliates before they even know who the speaker is.

Finally, we have the Exhibition merits which we get when our print or album is accepted to ppa's General or Loan exibits. These merits are recorded automatically and you don't get a certificate. You get your print back (loans you don't, which should really be called gifts lol j/k) with a gold cardboard corner and a stamp on the back of your print instead.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Good luck!

Actually, I think it would be nice to see a spreadsheet with all the merit codes, descriptions and count at some point.

ATTN: Melissa Pitts, is this something that could be shared with us?
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 02-17-2007 at 04:52 AM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

There is a good description of merits and how to earn them in the PPA Member Handbook. It's available on the PPA website after you log-in in the Members Only section under Member Downloads. Then PPA Resources.

Quote Originally Posted by clifbrewer View Post
    I'm a CPP but am a bit confused about earning education merits. Are merits recorded at PPA or am I responsible for keeping documentation? I found a 5 year certification form in my files and it looks like I can earn 2 merits for attending a convention, 1 for a day long seminar and 5 for a week long affiliated school. Is this correct? I recently received an email about a week long program but when I asked, I was told the class would only earn me 2 merits. Can anyone help me understand how merits are earned, how many are earned per opportunity and finally, how I submit them for the record? Thanks so much...

Hi Clif
    What your talking about is credit towards re-certification. Not merits. You must accumulate a minimum number of "credits" to retain your certification. If you do not they will yank your certification. Then you'll have to re-take the exam to get it back. The week long class will get you five credits towards re-certification and two merits towards the degree programs.

Here's a link to the re-cert requirements. http://certifiedphotographer.com/i4a...fm?pageid=3299
    Last edited by David_A._Lottes; 02-06-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Default Thank you!

Thank you all so much! Marc and Jennifer helped answer my questions. David actually read my mind and told me what I really need to know right now. All good stuff. I think I'm set.

Default A Pa. Photog. ... all right !!!

Hi Clif;

It's nice to see another Pennsylvania Photographer on here ! Plus you can be the authority whenever anything about the Coal Regions comes up.

Do you belong to the Professional Photographers of Pa. (or attending the programs this coming Sunday and Monday) ? Or, do you belong to Northeast Professional Photographers ? Please let me know if you would like any info about the state group. ( www.ppaofpa.org )

Thanks for the note D. Craig. I'm in Newtown, about 35 miles north of Philly. I just belong to PPA at this point. I will probably be attending NJPPAs convention because of scheduling and I want to see Dennis Craft. I'm happy to network. Not familiar with Northeast Pro Photographers. PPAofPA is a bit of a hike for me but I did go see Fuzzy a few months ago. Awesome program.

Default Locations ...

Hi Clif;

State (PPAofPa) meetings are held in the Radisson Penn Harris hotel just across the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg. Northest group meets in the coal regions ... Hazelton, Wilkes Barre, White Haven and so forth. So neither are too far for you. I did a Mapquest of Newtown to Harrisburg and it shows 52 minutes driving time. I'm pasting in my search but don't know if it will stay as I'm seeing it.
    http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...lkill%20County

Let me know any time you have any questions on the state group. Or, there are state members near you ... Bob Weikel in Schuykill Haven and Bernie Stankiewitch in Tamaqua among others.