Print Comp Glossary

Default Print Comp Glossary

Maybe someone can fill me (and other newbies) in on what some of the print competition lingo means I've seen...such as:

"Send to National"
    "Seals" or "Got Sealed"
    "Make Loan Collection", or "Go Loan"
    "Hang"
    "Showcase" or "Showcase Book"

I'm thinking it might be helpful to know what it means, and how to achieve it. Is there a certain path a print takes in competition...such as first enter at State, then Regional, National...maybe someone can explain?

thanks!
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Sullivan View Post
    Maybe someone can fill me (and other newbies) in on what some of the print competition lingo means I've seen...such as:

"Send to National" - submit for National competition (as opposed to oocal state or regional
    "Seals" or "Got Sealed" - receievd an 80 or above at an affiliate judging at the state or regional level ( just because the sponsoring organization is an affiliate doesn't mean it is an affilaiate judging) and got a "seal" on the back of the print signed by the jury chairman. If sent to national it is an automatic merit
    "Make Loan Collection", or "Go Loan" Be judged as the "best of the best" Is published in the Loan collection book and is sent "on loan" to organizations for display at photographic event.
    "Hang" receive a merit - so it will "hang" in the exhibition at IUSA

"Showcase" or "Showcase Book" The best of the General Collection(merited not loan) that are chosen for the book. Generally each judge can select around 10 images for Showcase. It is ususally something they think should go oloan but didn't get ENOUGH votes to do so.

I'm thinking it might be helpful to know what it means, and how to achieve it. Is there a certain path a print takes in competition...such as first enter at State, then Regional, National...maybe someone can explain?

thanks!
    Hope this helps
    Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

3. Default

We need a PPA wiki !!! Seriously, I imagine all of this stuff has been discussed at some point in some thread somewhere. But who the heck has much success searching the threads or even the gumption to do it?

A PPA Wiki would solve all of that. For those that do not know what that is, it is basically a custome online encyclopedia where contributors and explain and define terms and concepts and essentially edit it as a collaborative effort. They can be moderated as well so that someone is making sure the content is accurrate and "official".

What do folks think? The PPA Wiki can hang right off the PPA website!